What’s my build path?

Spartan_MD

Explorer
I want to create a great sword wielding character who uses the great weapon master and elven accuracy feat. Somehow gets 19-20 crits. A way to buff my attacks. Not MAD.

Is this character some type of hex blade with fighter and / or paladin?

Build at the lowest level to achieve the above goals.

Suggestions?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I want to create a great sword wielding character who uses the great weapon master and elven accuracy feat. Somehow gets 19-20 crits. A way to buff my attacks. Not MAD.

Is this character some type of hex blade with fighter and / or paladin?

Build at the lowest level to achieve the above goals.

Suggestions?

The only way to use GWM and elven accuracy is as a hexblade of at least 3rd level.

The 2 earliest variants in my mind are:

Champion 6 Hexblade 3
Champion 4 Hexblade 5

I would lean toward the Champion 6 Hexblade 3 version.

The build can be achieved by pure hexblade (assuming you don't mind the 19-20 crit only being usable some fights during the day - once per short rest limitation) Will still take the pure hexblade version till level 8.

delph

Explorer
And I'm for Champ 3 Hexblade X - invocations, spellslots... but it's tricky to choost pact - familiar - help actions for attack with advance, or better invocations on your sword...

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
And I'm for Champ 3 Hexblade X - invocations, spellslots... but it's tricky to choost pact - familiar - help actions for attack with advance, or better invocations on your sword...

His Pact has to be Blade if he wants to use a Greatsword with Hex Warrior for CHA to Attack/Damage.

Hex Warrior can only be used on one-handed weapons or Blade Pact Weapons. (Which also means he'll need to use a different weapon like a Longsword until he hits Warlock 3, at which time he can choose Pact of the Blade and switch to the Greatsword.)

Besides, he'll want Bladelock anyway for the Extra Attack invocation if he's only going Fighter3.

Last edited:

Esker

Hero
To make use of elven accuracy you need a reliable source of advantage. Bladelocks are pretty hungry for invocations already, but one option would be Devil's Sight + Darkness, but if there are other melee characters you take away any possibility for them to get advantage, or make opportunity attacks. Are there others in the party that can provide you advantage often?

FrogReaver

To make use of elven accuracy you need a reliable source of advantage. Bladelocks are pretty hungry for invocations already, but one option would be Devil's Sight + Darkness, but if there are other melee characters you take away any possibility for them to get advantage, or make opportunity attacks. Are there others in the party that can provide you advantage often?

You don't have to be the one to give yourself advantage. Plenty of other PC's have abilities that can give it.

FrogReaver

Sure, but this option takes till level 11 to come online.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
If you do plan to do Devil's Sight/Darkness in most combats be sure to sit far away from the DM. They will want to hurt you.

Esker

Hero
You don't have to be the one to give yourself advantage. Plenty of other PC's have abilities that can give it.

Yeah, that's why I asked whether there are others in the party that can provide advantage often. Of course the better question is not whether they can, but whether it's generally going to be worthwhile for them to do so. A bard can always cast Faerie Fire, for example, but they might not want to devote their concentration to a 1st level spell all that often. A Mastermind Rogue is good here, or somebody with a familiar, but help only works for one attack. Someone with Shield Master or who is otherwise set up to do a lot of shoving prone is good, but only when the initiative order works out right (should be roughly half the time). Etc.

Remove ads