What 2nd ed AD&D Adventures are the Best? List them here! (Darksun, Dragonlance, etc)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
One reason I am going through this whole excercise is to try to get a little bit beyond the nostalgia factor to try to find any other great modules that may be out there.

Psion

Adventurer
  • Dead Gods -- A classic of epic fantasy gameplay.
  • Tales of the Infinite Staircase - One of the most fasinating adventure designs ever. Highly Non-linear -- you can play the component adventure in any order and still work towards your goals.
  • Return to the Tomb of Horrors -- Moil is one of the creepiest, moodiest, most challenging adventure sites ever. And the necromancer's academy is also interesting.
  • Rod of Seven Parts -- A great mix of adventures. My players especially got into the drama of the giant adventure.
  • Ruins of Undermountain -- The original (non-vaporware) megadungeon... as much a setting as an adventure.

Last edited:

What, no one's mentioned Ruins of Undermountain?! That definitely gets my vote.

The Avatar trilogy were interesting, as long as you shucked most of the novel's influence.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
There were 185 adventures made by TSR or WotC for 2e. The reason that you will get very little consensus as to which were the best is because the vast, vast majority of them were made for a specific setting or sub-setting. Rather than making generic modules that everyone could use, TSR was making very specialized adventures for very specific target groups. Thus, not as many people played each one.

The Aceaum has an article on the print run of TSR adventures. In the 80's modules were usually printed in the hundreds of thousands. In the cases of some, B2 and S1 specifically, over a million were printed. Think about that. If every one of those were played just once by a party of 4, that's an awful lot of people with a shared experience going through those dungeons. Adventures in the 90's were generally published in print runs of about 10,000, sometimes less, rarely more. Which means that plain and simple fewer people were playing those adventures.

Thus, in the case of 1e and B/X D&D, you're going to get a relatively narrow consensus on the top 10 or so adventures made. With 2e, you might get every single poster giving you a different favorite.

My prediction is that the more universally applicable adventures made in the later 2e period will end up being the most popular in this thread. We've already seen Rod of 7 Parts and Return to the Temple of EE get multiple nominations.

R.A.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I knew this would be more contentious then the other threads...

...RA spells out just how "interesting" this could be, who knows, there may be dozens of great mods we know very little about...

In that vein, please help me out! I don't know which are the Avatar trilogy for example. Try to be specific. Thanks!

Kel

First Post
I am fond of The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, a short FR module for low-level characters. It details a small town, including several of its buildings, and a nearby dungeon. Although it is billed as an "adventure," it is more of just a small setting, because the "plot" is almost non-existent, and much of the dungeon is empty. BUT, it provides just enough detail about the town and dungeon to be a great resource for a more expansive plot by the DM. It has such a generic feel that it can be dropped into just about any on-going campaign...

diaglo

Adventurer
rogueattorney said:
I meant Return to TOH. All those "Return to" mods from the late 90's get me dizzy.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

R.A.
the majority of the Return to adventures were set for the 25th anniversary.. (1999).

Remove ads