• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 4th-level spells should any Wizard have?

What 4th-level spells should any Wizard have? (Pick multiple)

• Bestow Curse

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Black Tentacles

Votes: 102 36.4%
  • Charm Monster

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • Confusion

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Contagion

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Detect Scrying

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Dimension Door

Votes: 194 69.3%
  • Enervation

Votes: 65 23.2%
  • Enlarge Person, Mass

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser

Votes: 45 16.1%
  • Hallucinatory Terrain

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Invisibility, Greater

Votes: 180 64.3%
  • Phantasmal Killer

Votes: 32 11.4%
  • Polymorph

Votes: 142 50.7%
  • Resilient Sphere

Votes: 17 6.1%
  • Scrying

Votes: 62 22.1%
  • Secure Shelter

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Shout

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stone Shape

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Stoneskin

Votes: 121 43.2%
  • Summon Monster IV

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • Wall of Fire

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Wall of Ice

Votes: 28 10.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 12 4.3%

Felix

Explorer
Scrying, with its higher level counterparts, is the most powerful spell in the books. People talk about the versatility that makes the wizard so good, but it's good preparation that makes him able to use that versatile spell list. And what helps you know what you're up against? Scrying. Why are BBEG's so mean and evil? Because they have lower level mook wizards scrying on the party all the time so the BBEG knows exactly what they're up to.

That being said, because Scrying is the single most powerful line of spell in the game, Detect Scrying then becomes the 4th level defense for it. If focused on you, or someone in the group, the scrying sensor will appear within the 40' range. And you have a shot at seeing the offender... to possibly set up your own scrying attempt.

And for completely different reasons, Polymorph is for the wizard who wants to not be in melee anymore. It is the APC of wizard spells... the umberhulk shows up and burrows 20' striaght down without a tunnel behind him. Need a place to rest? Carve out a burrow beneath the earth with an air hole. Better than Rope Trick.

Nail

First Post
I'm very surprised Scying won out over some of the others.....usually, this isn't a spell you'd have memorized every day of adventuring. Rather, it's one you have in your spell book, and memorize after you know you'll need it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The three most abusable ones: black tentacles, enervation, and polymorph, plus one not mentioned: assay resistance. Others definitely nice, but these are clearly at the top of the list unless houseruled/banned.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Nail said:
I'm very surprised Scying won out over some of the others.....usually, this isn't a spell you'd have memorized every day of adventuring. Rather, it's one you have in your spell book, and memorize after you know you'll need it.
Maybe there should be a distinction between what spells are must-haves for your spellbook, and which are must-haves for a "typical" adventuring session (whatever "typical" happens to be in your campaign).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanee said:
I always wondered, what's the point of this spell, because during the day you use it, it's simply not worth it. Didn't think about it in the way, that it actually gives you extra slots, I always thought it keeps your 4th level slot occupied - so to say - meanwhile, but it surely doesn't seem to be that way. That application is actually pretty useful then. :D

Bye
Thanee

I just went through that exact same thought process. All along I was thinking it was an odd spell that didn't have a lot of utility, and suddenly I see it has huge utility.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pax said:
Generally, for battlefield control, core only, off the top of my head and in level order from 0-9: [-/grease/web/-/tentacles/wall of stone/wall of force/-/prismatic wall/-].

I also chose dimension door and greater invisibility, as those two are excellent ways for the wizard to keep otu of melee reach and spell-target-ability, respectively.

Silent Image (and the progressively better minor image and major image) is one of the best battlefield control spells. You can create a wall of stone with a first level spell. Sure, your wall will not survive direct contact by the enemy, but how often do enemies attack a wall rather than try to find a way around?

Remove ads