• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 4th-level spells should any Wizard have?

What 4th-level spells should any Wizard have? (Pick multiple)

• Bestow Curse

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Black Tentacles

Votes: 102 36.4%
  • Charm Monster

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • Confusion

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Contagion

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Detect Scrying

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Dimension Door

Votes: 194 69.3%
  • Enervation

Votes: 65 23.2%
  • Enlarge Person, Mass

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser

Votes: 45 16.1%
  • Hallucinatory Terrain

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Invisibility, Greater

Votes: 180 64.3%
  • Phantasmal Killer

Votes: 32 11.4%
  • Polymorph

Votes: 142 50.7%
  • Resilient Sphere

Votes: 17 6.1%
  • Scrying

Votes: 62 22.1%
  • Secure Shelter

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Shout

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stone Shape

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Stoneskin

Votes: 121 43.2%
  • Summon Monster IV

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • Wall of Fire

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Wall of Ice

Votes: 28 10.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 12 4.3%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanee said:
It's actually quite awesome as a wand. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Indeed! I was wondering if Craft Wand was useful enough to take for the Incantatrix I am working on...and now it's looking like a good idea.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanee said:
The bad thing about them is the duration, tho. Especially for Silent Image.

Bye
Thanee

I agree. It greatly benefits from the feat that lets you concentrate on a spell as a move action or even a free action with a high enough concentration check. And for things like the gnome illusionist replacement levels that extend you illusion spells and the gnome prestige classes that also extend your illusions and are stackable with extend spell and the gnome replacement levels.

Thanee

First Post
Mistwell said:
Indeed! I was wondering if Craft Wand was useful enough to take for the Incantatrix I am working on...

I think it's a pretty good idea. With Quicken Spell, you can quickly cast 1st level buffs, like Shield or True Strike from a cheap wand.

Bye
Thanee

Patlin

Explorer
I can't believe I didn't think of Mnemonic Enhancer!

On top of the many good things people have said about it, it's especially nice for an Arcane Trickster. The AT is all about efficiency, and 3 lesser orbs of (whatever you like) plus your sneak attack damage on each can be very usefull to a wizard who frequently finds himself low on ranged touch attacks, even more so than the admittedly deadly enervation.

I don't have craft wand, but you can bet I'll keep a few scrolls of Mnemonic Enhancer in reserve! An unexpected number of nasty locks? Exta knock spell at your service. The new dungeon level is under water? Alter self to merfolk form. A sudden need to travel? Phantom steed. Need a particular elemental attack? It's yours. Flexibility is great.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
I am deeply grateful that the proper application of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer has been explained to me at long last. I'm playing this 7th level transmuter, see... (points to his sig)

I don't know if that game's GM has figured this spell out. If not, I can't wait until I hit 8th. Most of the players I know have been assuming for years that it was a pointless spell.

Dude. This just made my day.

Haven

sydbar

Explorer
I voted for dimension door(butt saver),greater invis(always useful), shout(good against spell casters), wall of ice(good for crowd control, emergency raft, and many other uses). But i tend to use spells for unusual situations, since i love creative uses for spells.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Yah. I don't read boards other than the Story Hour board all that thoroughly. I missed this thread back then. But I also wasn't playing a 7th level transmuter at the time! I think we started this campaign just over a year ago.

Haven

Remove ads