• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What advantages do a Cleric have over a Necromancer

They can create souled, intelligent undead, in addition to the mindless undead wizards can. They can do that earlier.

They can rebuke / command / bolster their own and other's undead.

They have better and more spells dealing with Postive and Negative energy.

Sejs

First Post
Other than say, 'round about all of them? Death cleric has better hd, better saves, better ba, better armor. Spells per day are comparable, the necro's spec bonus slots balancing out with the domain slots the cleric gets. The cleric can rebuke undead, heal his undead with inflict spells, can buff his undead with desecrate, and gets animate dead at 3rd rather than 4th.

The UA necro varients are nice though.

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
They can create souled, intelligent undead, in addition to the mindless undead wizards can. They can do that earlier.

They can rebuke / command / bolster their own and other's undead.

They have better and more spells dealing with Postive and Negative energy.

well Necros get Create Undead at the same level that Clerics get it i think the differance is that undead created in that fashion aren't automatically on the caster side, they need to rebuke it or cast a spell that lets you control it. I suppose thats pretty important.

I wonder why creating undead is "better" as a cleric. Its all about focusing negative energy. Thats just another plane, nothing divine about it. I hope the complete arcane has a real Necromancer.

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Sejs said:
Spells per day are comparable, the necro's spec bonus slots balancing out with the domain slots the cleric gets. The cleric can rebuke undead, heal his undead with inflict spells, can buff his undead with desecrate, and gets animate dead at 3rd rather than 4th.

The UA necro varients are nice though.

Ok thats a pretty good answer, what does the UA varient get?

welby

First Post
My UA varient Necro gets a Skeleton instead of his familiar. Said skeleton grows in power as the necro levels. Right now, mine does hardly any damage, but acts as a great tank, especially with damage reduction.

jarlaxlecq said:
well Necros get Create Undead at the same level that Clerics get it

Sorry. 3.0 holdover. Create Undead and Create Greater Undead used to be Cleric-only.

Clerics get Animate Dead as a 3rd-level spell, while arcanists get it at 4th.

Darklone

Well... the D&D necros only had undeads for style reasons. They are dangerous because they are wizards ;)

Clerics haven't been that strong offensively in earlier editions.

Remove ads