• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the Differences between the various D&D editions?

johnsemlak

First Post
Castles and Crusades as an upcoming OGL game to be published by Troll Lord Games. It is being advertised as a rules-light version of D&D and is supposed to be a bit of a return to 1st edition feel. Several things are being streamlined. There are no PrCs and no Feats, I believe.

The name derives from the Castles and Crusades wargaming club that Gary Gygax was a member of many years ago. Gygax is releasing his (very long-awaited) Castle Greyhawk (called Castle Zygyg here) in C&C rules.

More info here:
http://www.trolllord.com/candc.htm

Akrasia

Procrastinator
johnsemlak said:
... Since we're discussing C&C as an 'edition' of D&D it's probably worth bringing up Hackmaster, which I havne't played but seems to be a hybrid of 1e and 2e, with a few other things... Unlike C&C, Hackmaster is produced under a license from WotC (besides the OGL) and is thus somewhat 'official'.

I agree that Hackmaster should be considered an edition -- it certainly has much more in common with 1e/2e AD&D than 3e does. (Unfortunately, IMHO, it exacerbates some of the more irritating features of 1e/2e, and is required by its license from WotC to maintain a 'parody' tone in its products.)

Including C&C as an edition is also fair, IMO, since it is being developed in conjunction with (and to some extent for) EGG's Castle Greyhawk (retitled Castle Zagyg) -- one of the two original D&D campaigns.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Trainz said:
I will. For 1st Ed AD&D at least.

Between you and me, 1st Ed was quite fun ...

That was a great summary, Trainz! :cool:

It makes me want to run a few 1E AD&D games right now.
:)

Trainz said:
The Bard... now THAT was a weird class. You had to first get about 7 levels of fighters, after you took about 8 levels of thief, and then you switched to druid, but at that point you also gained bardic abilities. If you could do all that, well the bard was no push-over. He was quite strong. Quite indeed.

I loved the 1E bard -- probably my favourite class of all time. And the only version of the bard class to be appropriately 'celtic' in nature.
(BTW, you needed 5-7 levels as fighter, and 5-8 levels as thief...)

The 1E illusionist also rocked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads