What are the must-read fantasy and science fiction novels of the 21st century?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not necessarily your favorites, but the books that every fantasy and science fiction fan should read to be a well-read fan, the way that Dune, the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Stranger in a Strange Land and Lord of the Rings were among the books that "everyone" who liked fantasy and science fiction was expected to have read in the late 20th century.

Davies

Legend
Not necessarily your favorites, but the books that every fantasy and science fiction fan should read to be a well-read fan, the way that Dune, the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Stranger in a Strange Land and Lord of the Rings were among the books that "everyone" who liked fantasy and science fiction was expected to have read in the late 20th century.
I think it is about twenty to thirty years too early to be making such evaluations. That notwithstanding, I would recommend the works of Nora K. Jemisin, particularly The Inheritance Trilogy.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd suggest the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas Under Red Skies, and The Republic of Thieves thus far, with four more due to finish up the series. Great characters, fascinating world-building, and interesting plots.

Johnathan
Perhaps my favorite book. The series will not be finished, but it doesn't matter for at least the first two...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think it is about twenty to thirty years too early to be making such evaluations. That notwithstanding, I would recommend the works of Nora K. Jemisin, particularly The Inheritance Trilogy.
First book is great.

So, not sure I can add to these as all three I've commented on will be on the list, but when was Leviathan Rising written?

Red Rising should be a tv show already....

Remove ads