What are the must-read fantasy and science fiction novels of the 21st century?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think it is about twenty to thirty years too early to be making such evaluations. That notwithstanding, I would recommend the works of Nora K. Jemisin, particularly The Inheritance Trilogy.
I want to second N.K. Jemisin. Though I think The Fifth Season and the rest of The Broken Earth series would be my suggestions for must-reads. Hard choice, I really enjoyed The Inheritance Trilogy.

I liked the Inheritance Trilogy more, but I think that the themes of The Broken Earth are probably more relevant to our experiences in the 21st century so far.

I think it is about twenty to thirty years too early to be making such evaluations. That notwithstanding, I would recommend the works of Nora K. Jemisin, particularly The Inheritance Trilogy.

It's an astonishing work of literature, plain and simple. Size of a phonebook, mind you, but it truly is a wonderful fantasy story.

"Jonatham Strange & Mr. Nor" by Susana Clarke is probably one of the best books of the 21st century, let alone Fantasy.

The Gentlemen Bastards, Wayward Children, Kingkiller Chronicles, and Locked Tomb series all deserve mention, thought I think that they aren't finished is also a strike against them. I go back and forth on A Song of Ice and Fire. It's spent more of the 21st century being written than it has existing!

I think that Sanderson absolutely deserves a place on the list, and since the first Mistborn trilogy is complete, feel safe in including it.

Remove ads