• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are The Top 10/25 D20 Fantasy Product Must Haves?

Garnfellow

Explorer
In no particular order:
  • Bad Axe Games’s Grim Tales
  • Expeditious Retreat Press’s A Magical Society: Beast Builder
  • Fantasy Flight Games’sMonster’s Handbook
  • Green Ronin’s Book of Fiends
  • Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary
  • Green Ronin's Advanced Game Master’s Guide
  • Malhavoc’s The Complete Book of Eldritch Might
  • Necromancer's Tome of Horrors Revised

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Frukathka said:
I am curious to know which fantasy D20 products are considered to be a makeup of a quintessential d20 collection.

Sound Off!
1) Iron Heroes
2) True Sorcery
3) True 20
4) Setting sourcebooks (fluff, rather than crunch).

With those first three, and the DMG and Monster Manuals, and a healthy selection of category 4, I am able to play any and all fantasy games with ease, pleasure and a minimum of DM mechanics jiggling.

Arnwyn

First Post
Frukathka said:
I am curious to know which fantasy D20 products are considered to be a makeup of a quintessential d20 collection.

Clarification: non-WotC. ;)
Hmmm...

- Tome of Horrors (Necro)
- Tomb of Abysthor (Necro)
- Crucible of Freya (Necro)
- Dungeon Magazine and/or Shackled City (Paizo)
- Dragon Magazine (Paizo)
- Complete Book of Eldritch Might (or BoEM 1-3) (Malhavoc)
- Lost City of Barakus (Necro)
- Freeport: City of Adventure (Green Ronin)
- City State of the Invincible Overlord and/or Bard's Gate (Necro)
- Relics & Rituals (WW)

Gothmog

First Post
In no particular order:

1. Book of Fiends
2. Book of the Righteous
3. Midnight 2.0
4. Conan OGL
5. Crime & Punishment
6. Dynasties & Demagogues
7. Love & War
8. Renegade Wizard's Spellbook
9. Renegade Cleric's Tome
10. Book of Unremitting Horror
11. Freeport:City of Adventure
12. GR Advanced Bestiary
13. GR Shaman's Handbook
14. GR Witch's Handbook
15. GR Unholy Warrior's Handbook
16. FFG Wildscape
17. FFG Monster's Handbook
18. Grim Tales
19. Codex Arcanis
20. AEG Toolbox
21. Monsternomicon
22. Tome of Horrors
23. Tome of Horrors II
24. Tome of Horrors III
25. Foul Locales Series from MEG

Crothian

First Post
DaveMage said:
Gothmog: Who made this and what's in it?

I don't have the book but it is by Pelgrane Press. A description is

Out of the darkness come horrors for the modern era - creatures that steal your dreams and take your life! The Book of Unremitting Horror is filled with disturbing art, descriptions, and forensic reports combined with playtested d20 stats.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Crothian said:
I don't have the book but it is by Pelgrane Press. A description is

Out of the darkness come horrors for the modern era - creatures that steal your dreams and take your life! The Book of Unremitting Horror is filled with disturbing art, descriptions, and forensic reports combined with playtested d20 stats.

Ah. Thanks, Crothian!

Gothmog

First Post
DaveMage said:
Gothmog: Who made this and what's in it?

Like Crothian said, its by Pelgrane Press. I chanced across it one day in my FLGS, and picked it up. Its got 26 different critters in it, each with 4-7 pages of flavor text, forensic reports or documents, and ideas for using them in a game. Its meant for a modern game, but works fine with fantasy too. I've used 4 of the critters in my fantasy game since I got the book, and have deeply disturbed my players with the Blossomer, Kooks, Residue Demon, and Strap Throat (this last one gave one player nighmares for several days afterwards- he said he kept dreaming about her). Its a great book and very well done- if you like horror critters, this is a must have.

Here is the website of the company and a product description (the last 2 pics are of Strap Throat and Kooks respectively:

http://www.dyingearth.com/BOUH/index.html

Treebore

First Post
That is a tough question.

I like adventures because they are great for inspiration, NPC's, maps, etc... Which is why "Necromancer is my favorite 3rd party publisher, their modules and products are just great for doing a campaign. I'll just list things that stand out in my memory.

Book of the Righteous-definitely the best treatment of religion in 3E, and the Holy Warrior pdf should be out in about a month, finally!

Wilderlands, in any edition, with Necro's being the best version.
CSIO (City State of the Invincible Overlord) in any edition, with Necro's again being the best.
Lost City of Barakus, I just love Endhome for some reason.
Grey Citadel, another excellent Necromancer adventure. An awesome sequal is coming soon!
Durbanford is good.
Morrick Mansion is a solid and very re-useable adventure.
Amulet/Crucible of Freya. Crucible was very "roughly" done, but I just get so much mileage out of it and Fairhill.
Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia, an excellent Sword and Sorcery feel.
Mysterious Tower: Goodman Games, an excellent, very old school feel.
Doom of Listonshire: Ari did a great job with this for Necromancer, you can tell his influences for this one.
Wurst of Grimtooths Traps ( I have always had a fondness for Grimmy)
OF course Rappan Athuk 1-3 and Tomb of Abysthor, these are classics.

I really like Arcana Evolved and Complete Book of Eldritch Might, lots of good stuff in both of those.

Book of Familiars by TLG, just so many ideas from this one.

Traps and Treachery, I like both of them a great deal.

To really run a game with a lot of depth you have to get Expeditious Retreats Magical Medeivel Society: Western Europe, Silk Road, and the other books in this series. Excellent stuff to run a campaign with a lot of depth. Especially with regards to economy and trade. Awesomely useful stuff. I really like their monster books, I just wish I could find the stuff Fiery Dragon was supposed to do.

Speaking of FD, their old NeMorens Vault module doesn't get near enough love. It is the very first module I ran my kids through and we had a blast!

I also have a special love for Alchemy and Herbalism.

I also really enjoyed Arthaus' Ravenloft efforts. Great campaign with that stuff, and I was able to start it at 1st level!

That is the stuff that I can think of that I would buy again if I lost it in a fire. Plus Lance Havermale's Necromancer and Dungeon adventures. He is very weak on 3E mechanics, but boy does he write good story adventures! Seriously looking forward to his Elemental Moon release!

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Gothmog said:
Like Crothian said, its by Pelgrane Press. I chanced across it one day in my FLGS, and picked it up. Its got 26 different critters in it, each with 4-7 pages of flavor text, forensic reports or documents, and ideas for using them in a game. Its meant for a modern game, but works fine with fantasy too. I've used 4 of the critters in my fantasy game since I got the book, and have deeply disturbed my players with the Blossomer, Kooks, Residue Demon, and Strap Throat (this last one gave one player nighmares for several days afterwards- he said he kept dreaming about her). Its a great book and very well done- if you like horror critters, this is a must have.

Here is the website of the company and a product description (the last 2 pics are of Strap Throat and Kooks respectively:

http://www.dyingearth.com/BOUH/index.html

Interesting. Didn't Adrian Bott also write the Book of Hell for Mongoose?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads