What are you? Powergamer or role-player?

What are you?

• Powergamer

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Roleplayer

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little of both

Votes: 89 71.2%

Aaron L

Hero
They aren't mutually exclusive. I like to have a good, solidly defined character and roleplay him to the fullest, but still make him so he can kick some tail.

Zappo

Explorer
Somewhere between Roleplayer and Both. :p

Seriously, I used to like powergaming, until I realized that I was spending hours over some numbers on a bit of paper and I could just as well go study maths instead. That thought crept into my head and never went away. Now I enjoy to make characters that are effective in creative ways - choosing a RP concept and making the character good too. Sometimes, in the right campaigns, I make completely RP-oriented characters and don't care about whether they'll come out effective or not. But real powergaming just bores me to death.

kristov

Explorer
Both (Powergaming a must)

I'm definately some of both. I am a big time powergamer though and feel that pure roleplayers just dont lack the sense to powergame.

I love to roleplay my character as a hero among men (and a hero isnt a puss, he is a above average).

-Kristov

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Both (Powergaming a must)

kristov said:
I'm definately some of both. I am a big time powergamer though and feel that pure roleplayers just dont lack the sense to powergame.

Hmm. Interesting use of the language. Exactly what is, "just don't lack the sense" supposed to mean?

Before you answer, go back to the first post in the thread, and read it very carefully, as it may be relevant...

2WS-Steve

First Post
Hejdun said:
Well, let's just say that this quote basically sums me up:

Well, not exactly. I mean, I don't say "w00+!!" And technically, I don't have the cloak of charisma YET. And I have FOUR levels of paladin....

Yeah yeah, stop staring. I'm a powergamer at heart.

Why the four levels of paladin Hejdun? You're not going for one of those steeds are you? Steeds, cohorts, and animal companions are traps mean gamemasters set for power gamers I tell you! We know we'll never be able to beat up your PC so what we do is give you a "free" helper. Of course the "helper" is a complete wimp compared to the PC so you have to spend massive quantities of resources and energy protecting and curing it. In Champions you'd even get points back for the thing; it's called a DNPC. :D

And Mantra, that just cracked me up!

Wicht

Hero
A little of both.

A character that can take on (and overcome) great challenges is always fun. But if I just wanted to wade through monster after monster I would stick with Hero-quest or play Guantlet on my N64.

Mallus

Legend
Both...

...since it all depends on the character and most of all, on the campaign. I prefer really story-heavy, role-heavy RPG'ing. But sthat's so heavily dependent on the person running the game, and the number of players. Complex individual storylines --which have to be 'given' by the DM-- are so hard to pull off in large, or even mid-sized groups. I try to find a style of play that matches the game as a whole.

But its usually not so clear cut a line dividing 'power' and 'role' characters. And its best when its none at all.

I have 2 active characters in 2 seperate campaigns. My first, a 2nd ed. fighter, Lt. St. Jon Grod, is from look a pure 'power' character. A 7'01' half-ogre wielding 2 longswords with weapon mastery, with heavy armor and near max HP's. However, I always speak 'in character' during play, with accent. He's the least educated character in his unit --military campaign-- and it shows in play. He ignorant of anything non-military, distrusts magic --even when its helpful, until recently he blindly followed orders from superiors. The other players know him by what he says and the way he says it... not by his combat bonuses or his kills. So he's both.

My namesake Mallus Dargentum is 3rd ed, has 2 levels of the NPC class Aristocrat --which we beefed up slightly--, is a somewhat former drug dealer and would be courtier. He's far more 'role' on the surface, but he's as min/maxed as any 'power' character in terms of his field of expertise --diplomacy and deception. I tried to push the rules as hard as I could to create a ruthlessly charming bastard. So again, both. But I play him in a game with ample opportunity for solo play, to which he is well suited.

Quickbeam

Explorer
I'm still evolving, becoming more of a roleplayer as time goles on and less of a powergamer. I still having my powergaming tendencies and moments of unmitigated desire to tweak my character just a little bit more. But, overall I reap more enjoyment out of roleplaying these days.

Remove ads