What are you reading in 2024?

I did some digging on the word count for these. The highest is ~81,000 the lowest is ~49,000 and the average is ~65,000. All told the series is slightly longer than the five published books of Game of Thrones. Both series sit around 1.7 million words.
There's really a lot to be said for shorter individual books IMO. Less likely to burn out either author or reader, easier to put out something new regularly enough that you don't forget what went before in a series, and for stand-alone novels trying them out is less of a time investment. Plus they're often better edited/more tightly written with less room for padding.

It's one of the principle reasons I prefer older books to ones from, say, 2010 and later. Maybe all the way back to 2000, even. I pine for the days when 150-225 pages was seen as reasonable by publishers and 600+ page paperback bricks were freakish aberrations.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I pine for the days when 150-225 pages was seen as reasonable by publishers and 600+ page paperback bricks were freakish aberrations.
As a Victorianist in a previous life, there's part of me inclined to call everything under 900 pages a "novella." That same part of me feels that 225-page novels are aberrations, like the designated hitter and the forward pass.

As a Victorianist in a previous life, there's part of me inclined to call everything under 900 pages a "novella." That same part of me feels that 225-page novels are aberrations, like the designated hitter and the forward pass.
An upper class Victorianist, apparently. Penny dreadfuls and the later ha'penny dreadfullers were for the everyday folk, nowehere near that page count, and did more to spread literacy than all the 1000 page behemoths ever published. If you had the misfortune to live in the US during Vickie's reign, substitute dime novels but the effect is the same.

In every era I'd contend that changes in printing technology and costs have done more to dictate page counts than public preferences or authorial intent. Even the rising tide of e-books running on modern-day Babbage engines hasn't really changed that much. Yet. :)

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
An upper class Victorianist, apparently.
Well, I was a Dickensian, so middle-brow and socially conscious, perhaps, but upper class is probably a stretch.

Friends in publishing say that ebooks have actually contributed substantially to the renewed vitality of stand-alone novellas. This includes Patrick Nielsen Hayden at Tor, where the flow was explicitly from novellas booming in ebooks to th booming in audio and print.
All kidding aside, I am glad to see more novellas. I've read too many novels that felt like too much too soon for the author or too many words with not enough need for them.

Friends in publishing say that ebooks have actually contributed substantially to the renewed vitality of stand-alone novellas. This includes Patrick Nielsen Hayden at Tor, where the flow was explicitly from novellas booming in ebooks to th booming in audio and print.
I can certainly believe it - and really, the shorter versions of my comfort zone for novels are regarded as novellas these days anyway. Disconcerting how many books I read as a youth only get into print via compilations at this point.
All kidding aside, I am glad to see more novellas. I've read too many novels that felt like too much too sooon
Agreed. My pulp magazine binge this year has really revitalized my fondness for the format in general, and there's some good modern stuff coming out both as ebooks and included in the odd print compilation.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Which series? Junior's had five so far. Thread link doesn't seem aimed at the post you were after.
1711775319425.png

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Finally got around to reading Shards of Honor, by Lois McMaster Bujold - first novel in the Vorkosigan series. I started with The Warrior's Apprentice many years ago but never got around to reading the first book in the series until this week. Now working on 'Barrayar'

Enjoyed the early part of that series, although I really need to catch up with it. I've missed pretty much the whole second half at this point. Just finished a rather random re-read of Mirror Dance I found at a library sale and it held up okay. Prefer Miles as more central to the action, but IIRC this is pretty much Mark's sole chance to really dominate things and one book of him is tolerable - barely - in exchange for Miles having a rare major reversal in battle.
One of my very favorite authors. The Vorkosigan series is great, and her World of 5 Gods even better. Personally, I really liked the Vor series up through Memory. At which point the focus shifted from star-spanning action to a bit more domestic/romance/regency in space sort of tales. Which Bujold is really good at writing! I still enjoyed, but they were just different than the intrigue and action type books of earlier

Ah, you started at the first book, which is arguably one of the most boring of the lot for an adult in the 2020s. I suppose in 1954 the idea of giant nuclear-powered VTOL aircraft was pretty awesome, but it doesn't have the same wow factor today. The rather bland obstacles and enemies don't help any either, although that's rarely much of a factor in the Swift Jr. series - he doesn't even a recurring peer rival like (say) the Three Investigators did. I can also confirm that there is no angst or internal dialog anywhere in the series, which I can do without in this kind of kid lit, frankly.

I do question whether the series was aimed at readers anywhere near as old as twelve, much less the bulk of the YA bracket. I started on them in the summer between 1st and 2nd grade and even at that point I knew they kids' books compared to the Barsoom stuff I was also getting from a different relative. Aside from some the odd bit of semi-accurate science and invention names like "megascope space prober" (my own introduction to the series, and another rather dull invention even then - it's a fancy equivalent to a 1960s era telescope) there's nothing in those books to strain anyone reading past kindergarten comprehension levels, and I was sharing books with interested classmates while our ages were still in the single digits. Can't imagine anyone in high school feeling comfortable reading these in public back in the Sixties and early Seventies.

That said, if you ever do take another stab at them despite lacking a nostalgia drive to help, I'd rec something with a more far-out central invention since that's usually the core appeal of the book. Straining my memory a bit, good choices might be:

Outpost In Space (1955) - The idea of building a space station out of multiple rocket ships isn't very exotic today, but it's an interesting piece of history to see how 1955 thought it could be done. Bit like watching those old Disney educational films about space flight and life on Mars.

Race To the Moon (1958) - Aside from more Cold War space race vibes, this one introduces the Challenger, a signature spacecraft that will largely replace conventional rocket-driven craft from here on and runs on "repelatron" drives that are another bit of handwavy tech that get used in many other books. This marks something of a turning point from somewhat serious speculative fiction to increasingly wild scifi. Interesting that it only took till 1958 for rockets to be kind of old news.

Deep-Sea Hydrodome (1958) and Spectromarine Selector (1960) - If you're going to read one of these, you might as well read the other. The former is largely about developing tech for resource extraction on the sea floor using (get used to this) repelatron tech to make air-filled domes for people to work in comfortably. As usual there's some folks who want to steal and/or destroy the tech for themselves, and (for Tom) quite a few teething problems in getting it work in the first place. The second book takes that hydrodome concept and uses it for underwater archeology, but first Tom has to invent a gadget for cleaning up the ruins which are covered in toxic slime and seaweed.

Repelatron Skyway (1963) - Speaking of both gonzo inventions and repelatrons, how about building a floating highway bridging an impassable area of swamp and jungle to help a developing African nation? And that despite having invented flying cars/trucks back in Triphibian Atomicar (there's an excuse for not using them, however thin). The representation of the local populace is the biggest sticking point in this one, but no more intolerable than average for the early Sixties. Nice reminder that Swift Enterprises started out as a the Swift Construction Company in Tom Sr.'s day and does, in fact, have experience building roadways.

Subocean Geotron (1966) - I may be biased because this one shares my birth year, but this a particular favorite. The titular geotron is a submersible tunneling machine meant to prospect for sea-floor mineral deposits. It winds up being vital for recovering a bunch of alien zoological specimens sent to Tom by his "space friends" on Mars (maybe) that go astray and wind up in the briny deep. The final form of the geotron is crazy looking (and uses repelatron tech again - shocking) and the alien flora and fauna are well described and pretty nifty - at least for a nine year old me. :)

Captive Planetoid (1967) - What do you do when an asteroid made of sapphire is on a collision course with Earth? Boring pragmatic types would try to deflect its course using, say, repelatrons. Tom sticks a giant parasail glider wing on it and arranges to soft-land it in a mountain of foam instead. Add some very ambitious jewel thieves to the mix and it's a fine bit of silliness.

Those are probably the highlights, although YMMV and they'll never be more than what they are - roughly seventy year old kids books that helped inspire quite a lot of future scifi writers and actual scientists.

cranberry

Adventurer
"The doors of Eden" by Adrian Tchaikovsky

It has some interesting ideas mingled with a lot of chase scenes - which starts to get a bit tedious. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Remove ads