What are you reading in 2024?

Clint_L

Hero
"The doors of Eden" by Adrian Tchaikovsky

It has some interesting ideas mingled with a lot of chase scenes - which starts to get a bit tedious. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
I'm gonna check it out. I've only read one Tchaikovsky book I didn't like (Ogres - it's barely a book). I checked out your link and the premise seems fun.

Anyone else reading Brubaker's Friday series (graphic novels)? I am desperate to get my hands on book 3! It's sort of post-YA, set in the early 1970s with a protagonist trying to solve a supernatural mystery. The Tom Swift discussion made me think of it, because the set up is that the protagonist, Friday, has returned home from college to help solve a mystery with her childhood partner, a boy genius. As she remembers back to their earlier adventures, we are shown the "covers" of a bunch of pulp novels relating to their exploits.

For the D category, perhaps one of David Drake's novels? He died last December, and such a prolific author arguably deserves an homage read at some point. I went with the Baen printing of Dragon Lord (his first published novel) but there are a fair number to choose from even if you avoid the series books that made up the bulk of his output.

Richards

Legend
I'm a big fan of Jeffery Deaver's mysteries/thrillers, so I'd recommend him for your "D" list. If you want an interesting one-shot, try The October List, a novel where each chapter precedes the one before it (rather like that one Seinfeld episode).

Johnathan

Between Gary Con and illness, it took me longer than it should have, but I finished re-reading Fritz Leiber's Swords and Deviltry. The writing is still sharp, feels mostly undated, like it could've been written today.

Now I'm moving onto something a bit weightier, Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, translated by Robin Waterfield.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Between Gary Con and illness, it took me longer than it should have, but I finished re-reading Fritz Leiber's Swords and Deviltry. The writing is still sharp, feels mostly undated, like it could've been written today.
The first Lankhmar books are astonishingly good. I find they fall off with Swords & Deviltry, which is around the time his personal problems began to cascade, but I recommend the first few books to anyone who'll listen.

The first Lankhmar books are astonishingly good. I find they fall off with Swords & Deviltry, which is around the time his personal problems began to cascade, but I recommend the first few books to anyone who'll listen.
Oh yeah, they start off so darn good. I'd put my point of no return for the series at Swords and Ice Magic, with The Knight and Knave of Swords just not existing for me.

Vael

Legend
I've been reading Fancy Bear Goes Phishing, a book about famous hacks and it's been quite informative and easy to digest.

Remove ads