• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading? [Jan 2016]

A 130 year old copy of "The Life and Facts of Estebanillo Gonzalez, Man of Good Humour", which I found among my great-great grandfather's books which I've recently inherited from my grandmother. The reading goes slowly, as the pages are very delicate.

A really fun read. Apparently, historians are unsure whether it is fiction or the actual life of a very clever rogue.

Richards

Legend
I just finished Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" on Wednesday - I read it all in one day, while flying in a plane around the country. It was fantastic. It's basically the story of a man and his son (they're never named) struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, desperately trying to make it to warmer climes because the man knows they won't survive another winter where they are. And this is a brutal world they're trying to survive in.

I still find myself thinking about it.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
Read Searching for the Mahdi, by N. Lee Wood. The blurb on the cover had a comparison to Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, which after reading I can only assume was based on the fact that both are set in the near future and have computer networks. Also both are books. It's not a bad book, but it's got a strange split personality: part lecture/diatribe about Middle Eastern culture via a fictitious Mideast country that sounds like it ought to be near Pakistan & India but is apparently near (but not next to) Israel (I still can't tell if the author is pro- or con-Islam); part first-person griping about how she (the narrator) is short and ugly (she gets the uber-sexy android in the end, and plastic surgery, so it's OK I guess?) I don't mind the description, but it really starts to come across as a serious psychological issue. Then again, if you made your fame disguised as a man, maybe having a hangup about your appearance is legit? I don't know.

There is an AI, but it's not really a character.

Have moved on to Maze of Stars, by John Brunner. Enjoying it more. Just realized that's an AI also. Maybe I should just read books with AIs in them.

Update: Read China Mountain Zhang and quite enjoyed it. SF, but minimal AI's. Also Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days. No AI's per se, but maximally enhanced humanity. Was going to read Half A King, but got two pages in and realized I'd already read it. Have gotten Half The World and Half A War to read instead.

Update 1/26: Half The World and Half A War were really good. I just started The 4th Annual Years Best Science Fiction, but the first two stories are really familiar. Not sure if they've been collected elsewhere, or I've read this before. :/

Last edited:

Remove ads