What are you reading? [Jan 2016]

Dioltach

Legend
I've just discovered the Laundry series by Charles Stross, and last night started on vol. 3 (The Fuller Memorandum). It's about a branch of the British civil service that deals with incursions from other universes through mathematics. Engaging characters, light-hearted tone, plenty of excitement.

I've also been reading Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. It started out alright, but by now the protagonist is becoming a bit Mary Suish so I've put it down for the time being.

Nellisir

Hero
... the Thieftaker books by DB Jackson, and anything I can find by John Ringo.

This confused the heck out me for a few minutes. I think there are at least two other "thieftaker" series out there, albeit historical fiction rather than historical fantasy. (The one that springs to mind is David Liss's Benjamin Weaver, but I think there's another one set in America instead of London. Good books, btw.)

No Winds of Winter, no Doors of Stone this year…

That being said, A Knight of Seven Kingdoms is nicely focused. The singular POV, I think, brought out the best of Martin’s writing. His excesses are less noticeable, but the tapestry of the world no less vivid.

Just finished Ancillary Justice, which was quite awesome. Will definitely be following up on the rest of the trilogy.

Currently onto the Magician King, the second in Grossman’s series.

Not Winds of Winter...

Still chewing on A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

Richards

Legend
I'm currently reading Pathfinder Bestiary 5 and am not at all impressed. This is easily the least useful (to me, anyway) book in the series. It seems overly-choked with fey, non-standard dragons (mostly of the winged snake variety), and creatures using either psionics or mystic rules. There's only a small handful of creatures I'd ever consider using in my own games - not good, considering they've raised the price to $44.95.

I think this will be the last book in this series I bother picking up.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
Just started Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes, by Loren D Estleman. Not wild about it. I think I liked the Sherlock Holmes stories well enough when I was young, but I haven't read any actual ones in years and don't really have a desire to. This book feels fairly true to Doyle's depiction of Holmes, and frankly it's not as engaging as The Abominable Bride (which I watched two nights ago). I keep expecting Bundersnatchles snappy sardonic dialogue and being disappointed.

I also just finished Star 6, the 6th book of a very early (1959) sf anthology series put together by Pohl. I've got all 6 books; I think I've started at the crappy end of the series.

Edit: I've read at least two other Sherlock-derived books in the past few months; a Sherlock + Dracula one by....Saberhagen (Seance for a Vampire, had to look it up), and at least one, if not two devoted to Moriarty. I've got another on the shelf downstairs. I really need to start keeping track of this stuff.

Last edited:

LadyGoldmoon

First Post
I've just discovered the Laundry series by Charles Stross, and last night started on vol. 3 (The Fuller Memorandum). It's about a branch of the British civil service that deals with incursions from other universes through mathematics. Engaging characters, light-hearted tone, plenty of excitement.

The Laundry series is excellent - you have just reminded me to go back to it. :)

I'm just about to finish the audiobook of Chris Hadfield's An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, which is a brilliant memoir/self-improvement book, and am considering plunging into the new Star Wars "official" books.

Remove ads