What are you Reading? March 2018 edition

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
My normal rule is that any book bigger than 500 pages is a Kindle purchase, while anything below that is a printed book. But you know….some of those flash Kindle eBook sales for $1 - $3 end up breaking that rule.

I think that by buy only physical copies I spend less overhaul, because I'm not tempted by these sales that are real bargains but stack up rapidly. It also forces me to buy novels that I know I'll read (eventually) as opposed to books that I'll probably read... at some point... down the line... after I read all the others that are waiting.

I'm do not play video games, but from what I understand about buying games that are on sale on Steam, you windup wiht more games that you can play. E-books sound similar in that respect.

Heh, that's an apt comparison. That being said, I do plan on getting to the various eBooks I'm accumulating...it's just this dang Wheel of Time read. If I take more than a one or two book break in-between, I fear I'll lose my momentum!

I'm do not play video games, but from what I understand about buying games that are on sale on Steam, you windup wiht more games that you can play. E-books sound similar in that respect.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Heh, that's an apt comparison. That being said, I do plan on getting to the various eBooks I'm accumulating...it's just this dang Wheel of Time read. If I take more than a one or two book break in-between, I fear I'll lose my momentum!

You sir, are a brave one among the braves. Only those who dare read C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series are braver then thee. We, who turned away from series, salute you and your courage... And the free time you seem to have that we do not.

Being able to take public transportation to and from work has its advantages. And drawbacks, too. But getting a good chunk of reading time counts for a lot.

You sir, are a brave one among the braves. Only those who dare read C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series are braver then thee. We, who turned away from series, salute you and your courage... And the free time you seem to have that we do not.

Mallus

Legend
I'm at the end of the first Star Trek novel -- Star Trek Discovery: Desperate Hours -- I've read since, oh John M. Ford's classic The Final Reflection. I impulse-bought it during a Kindle sale. The main problem with it was I had just finished Jeff VanderMeer's "Southern Reach" trilogy. It was a little like going from using a modern duotronic computer to stone knives and bear skins.

But the knives & skins ended up being kinda fun.

Up next as I dive into my -- now mostly virtual -- pile of books will be another impulse buy: The Gone World. Apparently it's a time-travel detective thriller involving an NCIS officer, outer space, and an oncoming apocalyptic scenario. The reviews were really good.

delericho

Legend
I just finished "The Black Elfstone", thus getting caught up on the Shannara novels. It's okay, but I kinda wish I hadn't read it - it's part one of four and there's a lot of setup before a quadruple cliffhanger. I rather wish I'd waited until all four parts were out and then read them all.

I've just started "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. I'm not far enough in to get any real impression of it.

Next up will be "The Algebraist", the last Iain M. Banks novel I haven't read. (I'll be tackling his non-genre stuff, published simply as Iain Banks, over the next few months.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished "All Those Explosions Were Somone Else's Fault" by James Alan Gardner. It was entertaining. A bit of a deconstruction of the superhero, though not particularly deep. Gardner had a flavorful voice for this book, which worked well. Setting was alternate dimension modern day with a well thought out twist, though there was little historical impact of the twist. The characters were colorful though the non-POV characters a bit shallow for my taste. Fight scenes (it is a superhero novel) were entertaining and varied, not just slug fests. 3.5 of 5 stars.

ccs

41st lv DM
It's 99.9999+% certain I'm about to become an ex-Toy-R-Us kid. :( ....
So job listings, modern resume formats, the requirements to file for Unemployment benefits, and an extensive review of my personal finances. Exciting stuff.

Richards

Legend
Ugh. So I finished Full Wolf Moon by Lincoln Child and contrary to expectations, I did NOT enjoy the ride. It was boring! I've read all of the previous novels in this particular series, starring enigmalogist Joshua Logan, and they've all been very good reads. Likewise, I've read all but the most recent of the Agent Pendergast series (I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback) by the same author and co-author Douglas Preston, and I've read all of the novels to date in their other co-authored series starring Gideon Crew, and I've read all of Douglas Preston's solo novels...and this is the first time either of them has disappointed me.

So, I highly encourage those who haven't read works by either of the authors to give them a try...just stay away from Full Wolf Moon. I would hate for potential readers to make their decisions about these authors and their shared worlds based on their impressions of this novel. It was an attempt at a scientific explanation for werewolves, and it just fell flat. Most of the novel was the main character not wanting to even get involved with the problem at hand, and then most of the subsequent "action" was him going around and talking to different people. Even the big (eventual) fight scene at the end was rather bland. All in all, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I seriously hope this was just a one-time misfire. I'm not swearing off Lincoln Child by any means...but boy, Lincoln, do you ever owe your readers a decent novel after this pile of garbage.

Next up is a novel about a telepath trying to survive the modern-day world after the death of his wife, who was his "anchor" and helped shield off the constant barrage of other people's thoughts. It's called The Hollow Man, by Dan Simmons. I don't think I've ever read anything by him but I've heard some good things about him so I'm holding up hope for a good read.

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
Next up is a novel about a telepath trying to survive the modern-day world after the death of his wife, who was his "anchor" and helped shield off the constant barrage of other people's thoughts. It's called The Hollow Man, by Dan Simmons. I don't think I've ever read anything by him but I've heard some good things about him so I'm holding up hope for a good read.
I've read almost everything written by Dan Simmons. What's unusual about him is that he's equally at home in almost every genre. Some of my favorite novels of his are 'The Hyperion Cantos' (sci-fi), 'Carrion Comfort' (horror), and 'The Terror' (historical/mystery). Some of his more recent works have been a tad boring, though (definitely avoid 'The Abominable', unless you're a hardcore fan of mountaineering).

I hope you enjoy 'The Hollow Man'! Please report back, when you've read it.

Remove ads