What are you Reading? March 2018 edition

Mallus

Legend
Right now I'm reading Nicholas Eames's Kings of the Wild. Or, "what if Terry Pratchett wrote a D&D novel about the aging, post-breakup Beatles".

It's remarkably well-written for a novel whose central conceit is a setting where mercenary (war)bands = rock-and-roll bands from the classic rock era.

Before that I read a haunting, apocalyptic detective procedural called The Gone World which was excellent, if somewhat hard to describe accurately.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Recently finished Artemis by Andy Weir. While not as captivating as his first effort, The Martian, it was a rather entertaining and enjoyable read. Some good ideas for a sci-fi campaign, perhaps Starfinder. Currently contemplating what to read next.

I was of the same mind about Artemis. I enjoyed it, but it diluted the hardcore SF of The Martian with spy movie plots and interpersonal drama. None of which was bad, just not as concentrated geeky. Still good but not the same standout. Though I had a lot of laugh-out-loud moments reading what the protagonist thought. Luckily laughing at a book is a common occurrence in my household.

That book is still on my list of to-read books. These days I much prefer reading about older, seasoned heroes like Kameron Hurley’s Nix, as opposed to yet another farmboy with a destiny.

Right now I'm reading Nicholas Eames's Kings of the Wild. Or, "what if Terry Pratchett wrote a D&D novel about the aging, post-breakup Beatles".

Finished up Jordan’s Crown of Swords. Not my favorite, though it had its moments. Somehow the ending felt rushed, which shouldn’t be the case in a book this size. And oh, Robert Jordan and his ideas about men and women. Ugh.

Next up is Ancillary Mercy, the last in the Imperial Radch trilogy.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I just finished the second Thieves' World book. The interconnectedness of the different players and how each writer uses the characters is much more interesting to me then the short stories by themselves.

Richards

Legend
I hope you enjoy 'The Hollow Man'! Please report back, when you've read it.
I did indeed enjoy The Hollow Man - it was a refreshing take on telepathy and the downsides having such a power would be like. As for the ending, I think it helped that I had already previously read Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man, as the concept of "jaunting" was already known to me (although I think he did a fine job of filling in any readers who weren't already familiar with the concept). And the ending reminded me of a short story I'd read by Larry Niven, in which the suicide rate skyrockets after definite proof of an infinite number of possible universes was proven: if every possible action happens in at least one universe, why not let this be the universe where I just kill myself and be done with it? Anyway, I'll definitely put him on my list of authors to seek out (while avoiding The Abominable - thanks for the warning).

I'm now reading The Shogun's Daughter, the sixteenth of a 17-book series of mystery novels set in 18th-century Japan (the series started in the late 17th-century), starring Sano Inchiro. I devoured the first 130 pages in one night - it's just as good as the others in the series. But when I finish it I'll start the final in the series, and I'll be very sad to see the series come to an end. Laura Joh Rowland's series has never failed to entertain; I fully imagine I'll be rereading them all, start to finish in a row, years from now when I'm retired.

Johnathan

Remove ads