• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your Personal Anthems?

The_Warlock

Explorer
Twilight Zone - by Golden Earring. Rockin', Disturbin', and keeps on goin' and goin'. Pretty much me.

Schism - by Tool. Playing while trying to extricate self from psychotically bad relationship. Coincidence? I think not.

Whip it! - by Devo. Cuz who doesn't like whips?

Dare to be Stupid! - by Weird Al Yankovic. Weird Al is GOD! Too bad I'm an aethiest...

Down with the Sickness - by Disturbed. Because there are things that shouldn't be woken up.

Mars, Bringer of War - by Gustav Holszt. Because I really need to blow up a Death Star...

Anywhere is - by Enya. Because confusion and exploration can still be a fun time, even if you go your separate ways.

1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky. The man is the first hard rocker. Why? HE USED CANNONS IN CLASSICAL MUSIC.

Hero - by Chad Kroger/Josey Scott. Because some things always seem out of reach, no matter how you strive.

Thunderstruck - by AC/DC. Because sometimes you don't need (or want) a reason to rock.

Confusion (Remix from Blade) - New Order. Do not drive on flat, long, straight roads in the middle of nowhere to this, unless you want to look down and find yourself going well past 90 mph.

Crawling in the Dark - by Hoobastank. Some days just feel like that, and I wish there were better ways to see.

She's got Legs - by ZZ Top. I like watching a good walk. :) Sue me.

In the Hall of the Mountain King - By Edward Grieg. Because I'm the Dungeon Master, that's why.

There's so many more songs I ID with, it would be impossible to really list, but that's what I can conjure up at work.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Insanity - by Oingo Boingo. Makes me happy I'm stable and well-adjusted.

Last edited:

Immak Antunel

First Post
Everything You Know Is Wrong- Weird Al

Asfagelns Dod- Finntroll

Volga Boatman's Song- Soviet Army Chorus and Band

Paranoid- Megadeth (cover)

Safety Dance- Men Without Hats

Mycanid

First Post
Two more came to mind ... again. :\ Also, curiously, on the Alasdair Fraser and Ensemble Georgika albums I linked above.

One is another Scottish aire called "Tonight my sleep will be restless". Here is a snippet of it performed by Aladair again:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...08/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_008/102-0676790-2761740

The other is another beautiful Georgian song named "Romelni Kerubinta". I have sung this one, both the upper and the lower part.... Here is a clip:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...17/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_017/102-0676790-2761740

"Carmen Cicero," the Mountain Goats, "there's poison is in the water/but the water tastes like honey/and we're so thirsty we don't care where we wake up tomorrow;we don't care, the question can hardly hold our attention."

Also: "Legionnaire's Lament," the Decemberists; "Paris 1919," John Cale, I suppose.

Ferret

Explorer
nerfherder said:
That's because you're a man of good taste, who still has a sense of wonder...

I agree about Incubus. But only song that I've choked to was that Macy Grey one, I try. This was when it came on the radio when I was sitting behind a girl I fell 'crazily' in love with. Those were crazy times! :confused:

I try to say goodbye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble

Evil Monkey

First Post
There are way too many songs that strike such a chord in me to post a complete list, and a vast majority of them would probably come too close to violating the 'no politics, no religion' rules if I were to post the lyrics. There are a couple, however, that fit me to a T and do not break that rule, and here they are.

My Own Way - Pennywise
From the album Straight Ahead.

I got my way of life
And I won't back down or apologize
For things I cannot change
Guess I gotta do things my own way
And I don't even care
If you got a problem with who I am
Cuz I don't give a *bleep*
You wanna change me, you're out of luck.

[chorus]
I don't know if I
Might never ever change
And I don't think that I
Would want to anyway
And I don't care if I
Never live to see the day
We can compromise
I'm doing things my own way
[/chorus]

It's so hard to believe
That we could see the world so differently
And we don't realize
Cuz we can't see the world through each other's eyes
We'll never understand
And I don't think that anybody can
I won't change anyway
Guess we're both just stubborn, stuck in our ways

[chorus]

I don't care if you
Never see the world like I do
[repeat x3]

Who Will Help Me Break This Bread? - Propagandhi
From the album How To Clean Everything.

I speak my mind, I question theirs
It seems to me like no one really cares
Peripherally blind, intellectually numb
Ignorant by choice? Or just plain *bleep*ing dumb?

You're threatened by my mind
You want everything the same
But my questions still remain

You boycott your brain
You answer with fists
But my questions still persist

You can rearrange my face
But you can't rearrange my mind
You can beat this shell about me
But you can't touch what's inside

So now who will help me bake this bread?
Who will be the first to speak and leave complacency for dead?
I've done all that I can on my own
But stagnant minds persist
To squeeze blood from this stone but

I won't bleed for you
I have no need for you
Bleed for you
Death will be the day I concede to you

Other songs that deserve mention, but which I won't post the lyrics for, include the following:

Jesus Christ - Pegboy
Don't Call Me White - NOFX
I Don't Wanna Die - Subhumans

There are many, many more; I like music as much as I like D&D (which is to say, A LOT! :D). Even though all those songs I listed above are punk rock, I listen to just about everything (except country and 'easy listening'), but punk, ska, and industrial are my faves.

And last but not least, a song that sums up just how much music means to me. I'm sure many other people will be able to relate.

Sound System - Operation Ivy
From the album Energy.

[chorus]
Sound system gonna bring me back up (yeah)
One thing that I can depend on
Sound system gonna bring me back (alright)
One thing that I can depend on
[/chorus]

Try to describe it to the limit of my ability
It's there for a second, then it's given up what it used to be
Contained in music, somehow more than just sound
This inspiration coming and twisting things around
Because you always know that it's gonna have to go
You always know that you'll be back in the cold
Point of departure sublimated in a song
It's always coming to give me that hope for just a second then it's gone but

[chorus]

Static pulse inside of music bringing us escape
It's always temporary, changing nothing in it's wake
Just a second where we're leaving all this *bleep* behind
Just a second but it's leaving just this much in mind
To resist despair that second makes you see
To resist despair cuz you can't change everything
To resist despair in this world is
What it is, what it is, what it is to be free

[chorus]

Wake up, turn my box on
Bust the shades, let the sun in
Times' gettin' tough
Bout time to start running
Box in my hand, music by my side
Skankin' to the rhythm of the music by my side

[chorus]

papastebu

First Post
Ferret
Everybody has done the crazylove thang.
Anyway, since I hit the dark side of thirty-five--some years ago--the Aerosmith song "Dream On" has been rather significant.
Back in the day, all Pink Floyd was a personal and telling description of my life, or so I thought. Also, I have always loved guitar-heavy rock and roll, and this group's music has always transported me.
"Never, I cried. Never shall ye get me alive... "
The Steppenwolf song, "Born to Be Wild". A driving song.
Steve Miller, et al.
"Unchained Melody" was the first song my dad taught me after he got me my first acoustic guitar when I turned 14.
Don't laugh: "Leader of the Band" was the first song that I ever taught myself on the guitar, all the way through. My voice was easily high enough, back then, to hit any note that Fogelberg could. This song puts me in mind of my father, who was a partially-successful musician for more than 32 years, and is described fairly thoroughly in these lyrics.
"Bridge Over Troubled Water", for what it says, for the sheer emotional "oomph!" of it, is still one of my all-time favorites.
The Beatles' Rubber Soul, especially for--if I'm remembering rightly--"I've Just Seen A Face". The White album for all of it, especially "Blackbird". That 6/8 crap was hard to play, but it was such a good song.
There are so many songs, like Drivin' and Cryin's "Scarred But Smarter", any blues tune, really, because of what I call my secondary learning stage on the guitar, where I was almost always fooling around with the major and minor pentatatonics, Kansas--a little too technically perfect for my tastes, but well-orchestrated, well-made, and lyrically-superior, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, "Backwater" by the Meat Puppets, "The Sweater-Song" by Wheezer, "White 'n' Nerdy" by Weird Al, "Locomotive Breath" by Tull, because I have been a victim of people I thought were loyal, "Sweet Pain" by Blues Traveler--Travelers and Thieves, overall, spoke to me about me. All of my dad's songs--which I'm almost positive none of you know--because I listened to/watched him write them, and many of them were in their first drafts when I was in mine.
Once again, I have taken too much space with my meanderings. Sorry.

Torm

Explorer
"I'm No Stranger To The Rain" by Keith Whitley - pretty self-explanatory, if you're familiar with it.

"Heart and Soul" by T'Pau - mirrors the way I've felt about just about every romance I've ever been in at some point during it.

"Maple Street Memories" by the Statler Brothers - pretty much sums up the way I feel about the things I've lost along the way. My grandmother's house - the only consistent home I ever knew growing up - was on Maple Street. It still is, but she's gone and it belongs to someone else now, and it isn't the same at all.

"Trying To Love Two Women" by the Oak Ridge Boys - anyone who knows me, or knows of my life, will appreciate this.

And I'm also a very musically inclined person - I daresay that the truths and feelings imparted in lyrics are actually more my religion than anything else is. So I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at those four.

Sidekick

First Post
mm well here's my current anthems - bear in mind I've just come out of a 7 year relationship earlier this year so they're either very uplifting or totally depressing...

Crawl by Altas. They're a NZ band and this is their only song I know. There's both a male and female singer to some decent rock - check it out.
"I slowly burn away now,
with fire in your eyes.
Get me room to breath now
'cause I'm fighting to survive

And I won't fall between the cracks yeah,
just leave some space for me to learn to crawl
"

Smile Like you Mean It by the Killers, covered by David Gray. Wow what to say, great song anyway, but David Gray takes it to a new level of soulfullnes.
"Save some face, you know you've only got one
Change your ways while your young

Boy one day you'll be a man
Girl, he'll never understand

Smile Like you mean it
"

Mad World cover by Gary Jules. Great song...

Starlight by Muse. Good song, uplifting yet sad at the same time.

Last Request by Paolo Nutini. I like thins song, but I'm pretty sure I love it because I never got me my break up sex..

[]Home Again[/b] by Shihad. GREAT SONG - admittedly I think only people who've lived in a different country from the one they grew up in/call home actually get this song (a bit snobby I know). I used to listen to it every single day on the tube home. It kept me sane in the big smoke.

"It's been a day of tiny triumphs
Its been a week spent in despair

You can't send it down the phone line
I do my best but I'm not there

So sit and wait and dream of your fate
Rise & fall, watch you grow tall

I'm here, you're there
but you should know I still love you
when I'm miles aways
"

Sleep to Dream by Fiona Apple.
Great song full of spite, anger and simmering rage. Just brilliant.

honourable mentions
- anything by Soundgarden, Audioslave, Incubus first two albums (Science & Make Yourself), Wolfmother (for a giggle), OdESSA (real good modern funk), Amy Winehouse, the Killers & Faith No More.

See all rather depressing... but in a cheerful and healthy way mind ;)

Remove ads