• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What boon for 3 PCs to bring them up to the power of 4?

Polydamas

First Post
Grant them the Boon of Two Lives. When they run out of a resource (Spells, Hitpoints) they gain the full allotment back after 30 minutes per level once per day (30 minutes at 1, 10 hours at 20th). The first time each day they go to negative hitpoints cannot kill them.

Of course such characters must be destined to have twice again the troubles of a normal person...

FireLance

Legend
One suggestion that Qualidar has touched on: give the PCs more and better equipment, or allow them to obtain the gear they want more easily via connections to a rich patron, large organization, local ruler, etc.

Roman

First Post
There are some great suggestions here!

I will grant the characters something that will boost them directly. I am not going to give them extra wealth, some magical items, or better equipment. That is not my style. In fact, knowing myself, the characters will probably end up with significantly fewer magic items than the 'wealth by level' guidelines suggest, which will no doubt underpower them further. Indeed, I may have to give them further abilities to compensate for that too, but I (and these players generally too) prefer this approach than the huge reliance on magical abilities implied by the guidelines. Still, that is a topic for another thread.

Plenty of suggestions made are useful, but perhaps the most common are higher stats and/or action points. I already use a very generous character generation method for ability score generation (6 + 3d6 drop the lowest), so that will surely help them. I was also toying with implementing an action point system in the past, so I have one ready to use and given the number of suggestions proposing its use I probably will use it. I am unsure with respect to how balanced it is, but I think with only three characters and my stinginess with equipment I don't need to worry about it too much. Luck points in the system can even be used to avoid death, so in a way they grant them 'boon of extra lives' too.

Roman

First Post
Voadam said:
Just read your last post, never mind.

Hey, if you still have any suggestions, don't let my last post stop you! As I said, the game is not going to take place for a while, so if I see something else in the meantime that catches my interest I may implement that instead. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Roman said:
Well, the game has not started yet and might not for some time. The characters will all start at level 1. One character will be a cleric for sure, another is likely to be a barbarian and yet another will almost certainly be a sorceress or a wizard.

Hence, they will most likely cover the archetypes of a standard party except for the rogue.

Why not just let one player play two characters? Have the guy playing the barbarian read some Fafrd and the Grey Mouser and have the Twain in your own game.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Don't do a cookie cutter. Let them choose wealth (enough to be up to recommended levels), or stats or NPC gestalt or one of the other options mentioned.

I'll be controversial and say that it is not possible to make a 3-PC group equivalent to a 4-PC group, no matter what "boon" you grant them.

There are so many interrelated, synergistic benefits that a 4-PC group has over a 3-PC group that it's no contest.

As an analogy, it's like comparing a pro football team to a junior high school team. What can you do to make the junior high school team equivalent to the pros? Nothing. It's can't be done.

Darklone

Roman said:
Hey, if you still have any suggestions, don't let my last post stop you! As I said, the game is not going to take place for a while, so if I see something else in the meantime that catches my interest I may implement that instead. :)
I do think action points and your attribute generation are ok... give everyone one extra talent feat at level 1 and you'll do fine.

I had a similar group where the barbarian (str 18 and con 18) went for rogue levels later and they didn't miss the 4th char at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads