• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What can I use instead of kobolds, goblins & orcs?

DMBrendon

First Post
I'm starting a new campaign and I'd like to try something different than have the characters fighting the usual kobolds, goblins and orcs. Initially I tried to shake things up by getting the players to be the goblinoids, and be going against elves, humans etc, but they didn't go for that. What other "monster families" provide similar challenges?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm having a lot of fun with beastmen. Human barbarian 2 with the claw and bite rage powers (handwaved a bit). They're fun and unexpected, and have great flavor. Players aren't sure if they're humans or monsters or what. The ambiguity also makes for interesting racial politics and moral dilemmas within the game world.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
One of the things that I immensely enjoy is having the group fight members of "good" races: two human nations go to war and the characters are stuck in the middle, a tribe of reclusive elves are killing travelers because they want to keep civilization from encroaching on the wilderness, dwarves are assaulting people from an organization they consider corrupt, halfling thieves are starting a turf war with a thieves' guild dominated by humans and half-orcs in a large city.

Part of the appeal to me is that there's a reversal of expectations, there's an unspoken expectation that virtually every members of a PC race is good in alignment. Another big part of it is that it shakes up player familiarity about exactly what they are fighting--everyone has fought an orc tribe lead by an orc barbarian and/or shaman. A surprising number of players haven't been in campaigns where they battle an elf tribe lead by an elven druid, a dwarf clan dominated by an order of rangers and inquisitors, or a band of merry halfling thieves lead by a troupe of bards.

NPCs with the warrior class make fine low-level "monsters" on par with kobolds, goblins, and orcs. Even those with one level in a PC class rank in at CR 1/2, so it's fine to have a battle with several warriors and someone with a class level even as a 1st-level challenge. There's also such a huge variety in class options that players won't necessarily know what they're up against even if they know that it's a halfling rogue or an elf druid.

Wycen

Explorer
Lizard men, xvarts, norkers, other critters from Greyhawk that I can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe a group of escaped slave races from the Scarlet Brotherhood.

Remove ads