• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Oh yes, I meant as a subclass of Wizard. Unfortunately it breaks the school pattern though so maybe Sorcerer? Time Vortex Sorcerous Origin?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Not really, each spell has a school as well you see, so you'd have to invent and reclassify quite a few spells as well.

I'm not sure that a fantasy game like Dungeons & Dragons really needs additional classes, maybe a guide to altering current ones to fit players wishes/demands for alternatives to the norm. It could include what abilities can be inter-switched to allow players to create new moulds rather than adding a whole new class with a fancy name. Swapping 2 cantrips for the heavy armour feat or dropping sneak attack but gaining great weapon fighting for example would allow players to tweek rather than stamp their character.
I think 4e was a great version of the game, but in some ways it has muddied the water for the future of DnD with it's MMO attitude and the fact there are comments on classes getting nerfed or abilities being broken flying around the forums confirms this (to me).

These games exist to tell stories in the imagination, the change to a class should of course be balanced, but it doesn't have to be endorsed in a £30 rulebook to make it playable.

The plethora of sub-classes people want moved across to 5e, either as new classes or subclasses, is plain scary in my opinion.

If you can't take one of the 4 core classes and create an adventurer that fits the play-style you want you could perhaps go back to the drawing board and look at it again, or come here and ask for advice - with the creative energy floating around here I am sure any class could be made.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Eh, I still think a Sorcerous Origin would be easier. And it gives the Sorcerer something to be special about (much like the Favoured Soul does).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not to offend or insult but...

I hear the phrase "I can't see any new classes for D&D. The current one do pretty much everything." in some form or another in D&D forums a lot.

And I wonder how creative or imaginative the fanbase is. Is it:

"No other classes fit in D&D"
"No other classes fits in my image of D&D"
"I can make almost any other class using what we have."
or
"I just can't think of any other classes."

The first two are a bit narrow minded with a bit if selfishness in the second IF the person isn't willing to support others at least via encouragement or constructive criticism.

And although some classes of the past are shallow or redundant in mechanics or flavor concept in the past, it would need little much more than reimagining of the class. That's what they did for sorcerer, ranger, paladin, and warlock. D&D has a few classes like that. They have something unique and only new the other part.

Truenamer (flavor and mechanic)
Binder (mechanic)
Shadowcaster (mechanic)
Dragonfire Adept (flavor and mechanics)
Warden (flavor)
Warlord (flavor)
Archivist (mechanic)
Incarnum classes (flavor and mechanic.
Psionic classes (flavor and mechanics)
Artificer (flavor)
Alchemist (flavor)
Martial Adepts (mechanics)

Its not like you can't force many classes into subclasses of existing ones. However the task wouldn't be simple in many cases. Making something a spell allows everyone to get it via bards, feats, and multiclassing. And subclasses are only 1/3 power of a class so there isn't room for power without breaking things.

Then when you some from sources outside of D&D, scores of new classes could be made.

So I really can't get it outside of personal lack of desire.

For me it is certainly
"I can make almost any other class using what we have."
- growing up with DnD I used to worry about power or what I could do and I understand people wanting to optimise their characters, no one wants to be redundant in a group. But I'm fairly confident that most builds can be made with imagination and a little bit of help from the DM at times.

As an additional thought - I think it has a lot to do with things being recognised for tournament play also though, which I have never tried so whilst my if I can imagine it I'm ok attitude maybe doesn't work for the AL players. So having it in black and white in a rulebook is necessary for some.

Remove ads