D&D 5E What D&D Beyond should have been.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This looks more like you got a new player and told him to make new 6th level character on the spot. That TAKES time.

Don't you people know what your character wants to become? Sure sometimes something changes along the way, but mostly it is a written path.

Most DMs that I played with, asked to bring 2 character sheets on session if there is "level up" incoming on that session to reduce leveling time to 0.
Nope, not really.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
This looks more like you got a new player and told him to make new 6th level character on the spot. That TAKES time.

No it's definitely not a new player rolling a level 6 character from scratch. Perhaps I gave the impression that a player has to make every one of those choices every level up. That was not my intent. But the player does have to make some of these choices every time.

Don't you people know what your character wants to become? Sure sometimes something changes along the way, but mostly it is a written path.

I might but not always. And the players at my table definitely do not. Any one of them might consider multiclassing into Barbarian after we encounter a Barbarian tribe, and are adopted into the tribe for saving their village chief from his demonically possessed rival. Or a fighter that was planing on Battlemaster might want to go EK after encountering an order of Martial Casters.

Or more simply my Barbarian that was planning on taking PM, finds a legendary Longsword, and wanting his story to revolve around finding that artifact changes what he plans to do with his ASI.

Most DMs that I played with, asked to bring 2 character sheets on session if there is "level up" incoming on that session to reduce leveling time to 0.
That's one way of doing it. Sure does kill a few more trees though.

Ultimately I've found it more satisfying to have the story have effect on how my character see's himself and how he approaches the world, rather than following some kind of a grand scheme I planned out at level 1.

Last edited:

Something I was thinking about since my previous response...

The whole discussion about leveling up comes from my post where I stated I find D&D Beyond useful since it allows my players, who lack a PHB, to level up in a relatively timely manner without having to wait for my physical PHB to be passed around when they level up during a session (incidentally reducing wear and tear on the book). What you're saying now is that they should already be ready to level since they should know what their choices are ahead of time, or should come prepared with pre-leveled characters. How are they supposed to do either of those when there is only one PHB for them to all use? Even if I were to lend my physical copy out, there isn't a way for me to send it along with players who live in multiple locations, and trying to organize passing it around from home to home between games would be hugely impractable. And that doesn't even bring into play all the other books like Volo's and Xanathar's (again, one physical copy each) they may need to level their characters. With D&D Beyond, all that is a snap, since they have access to everything they need to level on their own, at any time they want, with no waiting for the books to be passed around.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads