D&D 5E What D&D Beyond should have been.

Horwath

Legend
Now this may be one more rant about wanting something more for same money or no money.

But to me, paying extra 30€ over 50€ book just to have it in digital format is kind of expensive for the somewhat limited expansion of content and utility from Beyond.

D&D Beyond should have been alot cheaper in the first place(maybe it will be, all depends on future suply/demand ratio).

Paizo prices his PDF books at 10€.

Digitals tools are somewhat more expensive to make and it needs maintenance.

So 15-20€ per book should be max price.

Also every printed book should come with "book key" inside that you could add to your account for discount in the digital tool. As you already payed for the content, you should only pay for digital utility of that content.
Around 5-10€ per digital book that you already own in print.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
boo-snore_o_1989237.jpg

Now this may be one more rant about wanting something more for same money or no money.

But to me, paying extra 30€ over 50€ book just to have it in digital format is kind of expensive for the somewhat limited expansion of content and utility from Beyond.

D&D Beyond should have been alot cheaper in the first place(maybe it will be, all depends on future suply/demand ratio).

Also every printed book should come with "book key" inside that you could add to your account for discount in the digital tool. As you already payed for the content, you should only pay for digital utility of that content.

You realize that D&D Beyond is not owned by WotC right? It's a separate company who has licensed the D&D content from WotC, much like Fantasy Ground. WotC is promoting D&D Beyond because the more sales it makes then the more the D&D brand is worth.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

I'm sure that WotC would love to see a lower price point for digital content. If you think you could do that, write to them and convince them to give you a license.

Horwath

Legend
You realize that D&D Beyond is not owned by WotC right? It's a separate company who has licensed the D&D content from WotC, much like Fantasy Ground. WotC is promoting D&D Beyond because the more sales it makes then the more the D&D brand is worth.

So?

They could have made that into contract with them. They own the rights.

I agree that we should pay something for digital tools. We all like them.

I liked off line character creator for 4E. IMHO best part of 4E overall :D

But paying 60% extra of the paper version of the book? When you already own the book? that is highway robbery.

Horwath

Legend
I'm sure that WotC would love to see a lower price point for digital content. If you think you could do that, write to them and convince them to give you a license.

I'm not a softwafe developer.

I'm just a lowly customer of WotC and my only power is to not to buy any beyond procucts. And I will not buy as long as the prices are too high for my personal opinion for the given content.

So?

They could have made that into contract with them. They own the rights.

I agree that we should pay something for digital tools. We all like them.

I liked off line character creator for 4E. IMHO best part of 4E overall :D

But paying 60% extra of the paper version of the book? When you already own the book? that is highway robbery.

I'm pretty confident that D&D Beyond has a contract with WotC.

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam on here, reddit, and pretty much any forum where people talk about D&D. You can want what you want but things aren't changing anytime soon. The sales pretty much confirm that what they are doing is working so don't expect things to change anytime soon. Just because other companies do things one way doesn't mean that another company is going to match them. Obviously they don't have to since 5e is selling very well without doing the same thing Paizo is doing.

smbakeresq

Explorer
4E had a great PC builder. It was worth the subscription price alone. It was easy to use and switch around things to see how it all looked. It was layer out correctly.

The 5e one isn’t as good and the layout to me is counter-intuitive. It just seemed clunky to use. You can’t also easily add one thing and then switch views to see the overall effect.

They should have just ported it over.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm just a lowly customer of WotC and my only power is to not to buy any beyond products. And I will not buy as long as the prices are too high for my personal opinion for the given content.

And they are completely comfortable with that.

Horwath, you successfully made your opinion known. You have accomplished what you set out to do. Good job.

smbakeresq

Explorer
The character builder was worth it alone for 4e. It was GREAT.

It’s not any good in Beyond. Too clunky, you can’t switch things around easily.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads