D&D General D&D Book Prices Are Going Up

Books going up to $69.95 but include digital bundles

WotC announced today that D&D books will be increasing in price this year.

Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be $59.99 as a preorder and $69.99 thereafter. These will apparently come as physical and digital bundles, so you won’t need to buy the D&D Beyond version separately.

IMG_9193.jpeg

This space is dedicated to communicating clearly and transparently with our players- even when the topic isn’t particularly fun. Since the release of the 2014 D&D core rulebooks, we’ve kept book prices stable. Unfortunately, with the cost of goods and shipping continually increasing, we’ve finally had to make the decision to increase the price of our new release print books. We're committed to creating high-quality products that deliver great value to our players and must increase our prices to accomplish that.

This will go into effect starting with Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants and new releases after Glory of the Giants. Digital pricing is unaffected by this MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) increase, as digital products don’t need to be printed or shipped. The increase also doesn’t impact backlist titles. While we can’t promise that there will never be a change to the prices of digital products and backlist titles, we have no plans to increase either.

Players who purchase the Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants digital-physical bundle through Dungeons & Dragons store can get the bundle for $59.95 for the entire preorder window, which is consistent with our current digital-physical bundle pricing. After the preorder window closes, digital-physical bundle prices will go to $69.95.

darjr

I crit!
DDB on an iPad isn't any different than a PDF in requiring you to think ahead enough to load what you need. If you download the book in the app, it's available offline with no issue. You can still search through your downloaded books without an internet connection. You really just have to plan ahead enough to make sure you've downloaded the books you want but that's not any different than making sure you have a PDF loaded on to the tablet. I'm not sure about other platforms like Android or Windows tablets, so that may be a problem if those are your tablet platforms of choice.

I just checked and I can even download a book that I haven't purchased but have access to through a campaign share.
I dint think the search is as good. Nor can I use a different app to access it if I like another better. Also I dint think I could print out whole chapters or the whole book in ddb, can I? Have to check on that.

I dint think the search is as good. Nor can I use a different app to access it if I like another better. Also I dint think I could print out whole chapters or the whole book in ddb, can I? Have to check on that.
The search can be sluggish sometimes, I'm guessing it tries to search online first before defaulting back to local search? After the first search, it went much faster.

I'm not aware of any way to use it on other apps, I know my group was looking for a way awhile back to integrate dice rolling into Roll20 for one of our players who was traveling for work and only had an iPad and we couldn't figure out anything beyond "eh, just roll in DDB and tell us what you rolled". I've never tried to print anything from it beyond exporting my character sheet to a PDF and printing that. PDFs are certainly better for some things. For starters, you're not tied to that platform forever.

Clint_L

Hero
The search can be sluggish sometimes, I'm guessing it tries to search online first before defaulting back to local search? After the first search, it went much faster.

I'm not aware of any way to use it on other apps, I know my group was looking for a way awhile back to integrate dice rolling into Roll20 for one of our players who was traveling for work and only had an iPad and we couldn't figure out anything beyond "eh, just roll in DDB and tell us what you rolled". I've never tried to print anything from it beyond exporting my character sheet to a PDF and printing that. PDFs are certainly better for some things. For starters, you're not tied to that platform forever.
If the DM is also logged into DDB, they will see the roll happen. My students use it almost exclusively.

If the DM is also logged into DDB, they will see the roll happen. My students use it almost exclusively.
You can, but just having the player say what they rolled made it so the DM had one less thing to pay attention to since everyone else's rolls were going to Roll20 where the map was. A few of our players preferred the Roll20 character sheet (absolutely no idea why...) so not all the player rolls were going to DDB anyhow. I guess it's worth pointing out yes, you can see all the DDB rolls in a campaign in the campaign log though.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Yes, running on an ipad would be challenging.

I suppose it would be possible to use Chrome with the Beyond20 plug-in installed on an ipad, with Roll20 open in a separate tab. But then again - iPads can be locked down in a number of annoying ways.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
This is the cynical side of me speaking...

But that sounds like an EXTEREMLY large increase for "inflation"? Especially when you consider that digital pricing is minimally affected. (Yes the "we don't need to ship/print" arguement SOUNDs reasonable on it's face, but we can safely assume that WoTC will be making a massive attempt to move away from phsyical and gain digital traction over the next few years, since it's easy to monetize add-ons.

I normally like to give companies (even large for-profit ones) the benefit of the doubt, but WotC has proven to be less than forthright and upfront for the most part, and have publically announced that D&D is "under-monetized".

Oofta

Legend
This is the cynical side of me speaking...

But that sounds like an EXTEREMLY large increase for "inflation"? Especially when you consider that digital pricing is minimally affected. (Yes the "we don't need to ship/print" arguement SOUNDs reasonable on it's face, but we can safely assume that WoTC will be making a massive attempt to move away from phsyical and gain digital traction over the next few years, since it's easy to monetize add-ons.

I normally like to give companies (even large for-profit ones) the benefit of the doubt, but WotC has proven to be less than forthright and upfront for the most part, and have publically announced that D&D is "under-monetized".

Others have covered this, the price increase for the books is lower than inflation. The cost of digital content is entirely different. DDB used to be a separate company, now it's been brought in-house which means there is likely lower overhead.

Remove ads

Remove ads