What dead game would you resurrect?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I would really like to see some of the early Forge games see updates that streamline some things and have much better organization: Sorcerer, Shadow Over Yesterday, Poison'd, Primetime Adventures. Sorcerer in particular could do with a rework of the text to provide more concise and clear explanations. Also it really needs some layout and organization love.

I'd also really like to see some supplemental material for The Nightmares Underneath.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I would really like to see some of the early Forge games see updates that streamline some things and have much better organization: Sorcerer, Shadow Over Yesterday, Poison'd, Primetime Adventures. Sorcerer in particular could do with a rework of the text to provide more concise and clear explanations. Also it really needs some layout and organization love.

I'd also really like to see some supplemental material for The Nightmares Underneath.
PrimeTime Adventures had a 2nd edition in 2014 (which I guess is 9 years ago already 😱 ). But again, I suppose it depends on how one defines a "dead" game

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah. I got it, and it is a fine game, but not what I was looking for (seem to recall some others upthread saying the same).

Regardless, we already had that issue since thread start. People have been suggesting BX D&D, even though there is an existing current D&D (and boy howdy are there plenty of BX analogues out there in OSRland).
Ah, then this thread title needs a bit of a codicil:

What dead game would you resurrect (because all the other more recent editions of said game unfortunately aren't all that great imho)?​

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Well shoot. Since this isn't a proper nerdly discussion thread on the internet until some definitions are thrown out there so that the other 90% can argue over said definitions - here's the OP and then my additions.

What dead game would you resurrect? With either a new edition or just continuation of the line.
(I blended the title of thread with the OP's text into a single quote)

For me, "Dead" means the creator/publisher is no longer actively creating material for the game. By "no longer" I mean within the last 10 years. Per the OP, if there's a new edition, the game is not dead. So for OD&D/BX/BECMI/AD&D/etc etc - that game is not Dead.

Now, one could argue that "dead to me" (as in @Willie the Duck 's comment that Over the Edge 3e was fine but not what they were looking for) is definitely one way to define "Dead". One could also argue that a new edition that markedly changes a game (for example most new editions of D&D) perforce renders the older edition "dead".

Both are outside my definition of dead though. And at the risk of putting words in @Reynard 's fingers, probably not what they meant either.

aramis erak

Legend
If any, Arrowflight 1st edition and Prime DIrective 1st ed - both spiffy d6 dice pools doing things differently. Both deemed not worthy by their ownership.

giant.robot

Adventurer
It Came from the Late Late Show.

It's a premise where the actual rules don't match the intentions laid out in the book. The game mechanics do not support the description of the game at the table. A blog post I can't find called it a ludonarrative dissonance which I completely agree with. It's a product at war with itself.

It could be a really fun game using the Ghostbusters RPG (another dead game I want resurrected) or maybe even Fiasco. It's a fun premise and a fun game so long as you ignore a lot of the actual rules.

Remove ads