What dead game would you resurrect?

giant.robot

Adventurer
If any, Arrowflight 1st edition and Prime DIrective 1st ed - both spiffy d6 dice pools doing things differently. Both deemed not worthy by their ownership.
Prime Directive with different rules (not GURPS or D20) could be interesting. The SFB universe has a lot of fun lore and could make for a very good RP setting.

I have in the past owned all three rule sets for Prime Directive and enjoyed none of them despite liking the premise of the game.

aramis erak

Legend
Prime Directive with different rules (not GURPS or D20) could be interesting. The SFB universe has a lot of fun lore and could make for a very good RP setting.

I have in the past owned all three rule sets for Prime Directive and enjoyed none of them despite liking the premise of the game.
I happen to like 1E. ANd there are 4 versions, not 3. PD1E, GPD, PD20, and PD20M. I'm not certain if GPD was republished updated to G4e, but if it has, that makes 5 versions.

I do happen to love the 1st ed, have since I got it. But, after years of badgering, at least the prior materials were rereleased in PDF. And the supplemental material is in free PDF buried on the ADB website.

giant.robot

Adventurer
I happen to like 1E. ANd there are 4 versions, not 3. PD1E, GPD, PD20, and PD20M. I'm not certain if GPD was republished updated to G4e, but if it has, that makes 5 versions.

I do happen to love the 1st ed, have since I got it. But, after years of badgering, at least the prior materials were rereleased in PDF. And the supplemental material is in free PDF buried on the ADB website.
The only GURPS edition of PD I am aware of is a 4th edition version. If they ever published a 3rd edition version I never saw it. I also didn't realize there were two D20 versions. I'm certainly no expert on any of the editions of the game. I like the SFB universe but I've never been super enthused about any of the game rules for and of the SFB games. Not that they're bad, just not for me.

Ah, then this thread title needs a bit of a codicil:
What dead game would you resurrect (because all the other more recent editions of said game unfortunately aren't all that great imho)?
Have fun with that.
I'm not particular, and even if I were starting a thread is a lot like releasing a captivity bred animal into the wild: you hope you gave it a solid start but what happens, happens.
Agreed, the more demands or expectations one puts into a topic, the more likely one is to be disappointed. I think people have happily settled into answering what product they think had more life in it/could have used continued development/products.

Star Trek games run into the issue of what kind of Star Trek you want to play. Even before the Kelvin reboot movies, there were many different ways of looking at the game universe. One of the reviews for PD v.1 included the comment, "My advice to Star Trek fans interested in Prime Directive is to play it, but play it on its own terms, as a good, solid outer space military adventure, without trying to squeeze it into the TV show's mold in every tiny detail. To tell you the truth, the universe of Prime Directive is much more playable than the Star Trek universe anyway, while preserving most of the elements that got trekkies interested in Star Trek in the first place." I'm unsure I agree that PD is more playable than full ST would be (particularly now that narrative-focused games have made great developmental strides), but I certainly appreciate the play-it-on-it's-own-terms advise.

Reynard

Legend
Star Trek games run into the issue of what kind of Star Trek you want to play. Even before the Kelvin reboot movies, there were many different ways of looking at the game universe. One of the reviews for PD v.1 included the comment, "My advice to Star Trek fans interested in Prime Directive is to play it, but play it on its own terms, as a good, solid outer space military adventure, without trying to squeeze it into the TV show's mold in every tiny detail. To tell you the truth, the universe of Prime Directive is much more playable than the Star Trek universe anyway, while preserving most of the elements that got trekkies interested in Star Trek in the first place." I'm unsure I agree that PD is more playable than full ST would be (particularly now that narrative-focused games have made great developmental strides), but I certainly appreciate the play-it-on-it's-own-terms advise.
Most long lived franchises are complex enough that we should ask ourselves "What kind of X do we mean here?" STar trek. Star Wars. Most comic book universes or "sub-universe" like X-Men. They all have had such diverse periods that you can't just say "Star trek" and have it be especially meaningful.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Most long lived franchises are complex enough that we should ask ourselves "What kind of X do we mean here?" STar trek. Star Wars. Most comic book universes or "sub-universe" like X-Men. They all have had such diverse periods that you can't just say "Star trek" and have it be especially meaningful.

There's a reason that when X-Men based MUSHes were a big thing, they always made it very clear what time period they were assumed to be set in.

Reynard

Legend
name.gif

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
"What dead game would you resurrect?"

While I enjoy some of the suggestions, I think that we are all forgetting the lessons of Pet Sematary.
The person you put up there ain't the person that comes back. It may look like that person, but it ain't that person.

I, for one, do not want some resurrected game to kill us all. Whatever that game is in your memory ... it don't come back the same.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Well, if we're opening up the table to games we wish would revert to an earlier state and then get a new edition... Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying, based on the original rules but incorporating some of the most popular house rules. With the settings intact-- the non-licensed ones, at least. Maybe the licensed ones, too. Maybe some new licenses.

It's too soon to say Shadowrun, even though I'd want to revert two whole editions.

Remove ads