What DO you DO for... Fighters?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I give Finesse as a free feat at Lvl 1

Weapon Focus can be used in place of Combat Expertise as a prereq to disarm and feint etc

Weapon Grips feat (prereq Greater Weapon focus): Allows that Fighter to add special qualities to their weapon including things like Keen, Vicious, Wounding, Throwing and DR penetrating

Bonus feats

Paraxis

Explorer
Have not done this yet but toying around with idea of letting them lose heavy armor/tower shield for +2 skill points a level and adding any 2 skills to list, also can give up medium for another +2 to each so total with only light armor 6+int bonus skill points per level and 4 extra skills on list of their choice.

Also second the lots of extra feats especialy at higher levels. Was disapointed in PHB2 weapon feats having +BAB as prereq instead of levels of Fighter.

Talic

First Post
Like Paraxis, I have no problem granting additional class skills and points in place of armor for a character who has a specific type of fighter in mind. For example, the player who wants a Desert Nomad type can trade off his heavier armor for maybe Survival, Spot, and whatever else he can convince me is appropriate.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
We use weapon groups for character weapon proficiencies. Fighters get to take weapomn focus/specialization with entire weapon groups (axes, bows, havy blades, etc.) and not just individual weapons.

With the PHB II high-level fighter feats and a few others, that's all a fighter needs. Though with great class ideas like the Marshal and the Knight classes I've been considering turning their special abilities into Tactical feat trees for Fighters to make use of as alternatives to the normal fighter feats/styles. The Command series of Tactical Feats and the Knight series of Tactical Feats.

Nyaricus

First Post
Tonguez said:
Weapon Grips feat (prereq Greater Weapon focus): Allows that Fighter to add special qualities to their weapon including things like Keen, Vicious, Wounding, Throwing and DR penetrating
I scanned over the other posts, but this one really stuck out for me - Tonguez, can you extrapolate and post these up? I've love to see what you've done man :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Warrior's Spirit (Ex): Fighters of 15th-level are quite experienced at resisting magical and psionic effects, and their significant degree of personal development rather than magical development has made them more resistant as well. The fighter gains +2 on saving throws against magical effects, and on saving throws against psionic effects.
Wow dude, you have a ton (!) of changes, however, this one here really stuck out for me. I like it because fighters don't get any magical abilities - but defense from magic? Gravy :cool:

For a standard campaign, I'd let this slide in for sure - Maybe +1 at 3rd, +2 at 9th and +3 at 15th, to intersperse with my Floating Bonus Feats :D

Thank you for the great idea man :D

EricNoah

Adventurer
I would start by not forcing the fighter to take medium armor, heavy armor or shield proficiency at 1st level; convert those into bonus feat slots. That way, a fighter who wanted to go down a different path could do that more easily -- take Improved Unarmed Strike or whatever.

Land Outcast

Explorer
I would start by not forcing the fighter to take medium armor, heavy armor or shield proficiency at 1st level; convert those into bonus feat slots. That way, a fighter who wanted to go down a different path could do that more easily -- take Improved Unarmed Strike or whatever.

Wow! that's just simple... and efficient...

Remove ads