What DO you DO for... Fighters?

Paraxis

Explorer
I would start by not forcing the fighter to take medium armor, heavy armor or shield proficiency at 1st level; convert those into bonus feat slots. That way, a fighter who wanted to go down a different path could do that more easily -- take Improved Unarmed Strike or whatever.

I toyed with this idea too, but seemed unbalancing. I mean say I am a rogue,monk,ranger, build for one level of fighter I get 4 extra fighter feats. I don't want armor prof and a one level dip for 4 feats sounds to powerful.

Normal bonus feat+(1) from tower shield+(1) from heavy armor+(1) from medium armor

Land Outcast

Explorer
Yeha, the level dipping would be annoying.

Just change it to:

a bonus feat at level 3, a bonus feat at level 5, and a bonus feat a level 8

(hum... somehow sounds wrong... not sure why yet)

Nyaricus

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Yeha, the level dipping would be annoying.

Just change it to:

a bonus feat at level 3, a bonus feat at level 5, and a bonus feat a level 8

(hum... somehow sounds wrong... not sure why yet)
Well, you could say that those bonus feats have to be spent on [exotic] weapon profs, armour profs, shield profs or Improved Unarmed Strike, all at first level.

And it sounds wrong because they are now giving pure bonus feats till level 5 - which is REALLY nice, and simply too good.

Nice idea Eric, thanks for contributing.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I use Carnifex, fighters are more suited for the gentler warriors. Carnifex are awesome. But when I do play fighters, I mix it up a little, a smidgen of barbarian, a dash of rogue.

Sir Brennen

Legend
IMC, I'm also toying with the idea of no Heavy Armor prof. at first level (I can't see a fighter without Medium Armor or Shield prof. as part of basic training, though.)

To compensate, a fighter earns a bonus feat at 3rd level, though it's from a much narrower list, focusing on defensive combat - Heavy Armor Prof, Armor specialization, Dodge, Two Weapon Defense, Combat Expertise, etc. (The final list is still being worked on.) The higher level avoids cherry-picking a figher level, and the list is focused on what it's replacing - the defensive capability of Heavy Armor.

IMC, there's no chain shirts or mail, so Heavy Armor as a prof. itself is still pretty attractive. The class ability may end up being called Defensive Specialization, rather than just "bonus feat".

Now, thanks to this thread, I may have to add Skill Focus: Knowledge [Tactics] to that list :D

Other changes include use of Weapon Groups, and the Focus and Specialization feats apply to the entire group.

Sravoff

First Post
Tonguez said:
I give Finesse as a free feat at Lvl 1

Weapon Focus can be used in place of Combat Expertise as a prereq to disarm and feint etc

Weapon Grips feat (prereq Greater Weapon focus): Allows that Fighter to add special qualities to their weapon including things like Keen, Vicious, Wounding, Throwing and DR penetrating

Bonus feats
Are you using woodelf's weapons as special effects?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I add Superior Focus (lvl 16) and Superior Specialization (lvl 20) as feat options. It gives the fighter something that they can definitively do better than barbs (damage) in a straight fight, which they are supposed to be best at. It also gives a pure fighter an advantage at high levels, for those who complain that taking more than 12 fighter levels is pointless. In general, I don't think that fighters need fixing (they're actually my favorite warrior-type class). I know that a lot of players think of them as weak or 'vanilla', but I've found that those are the players that lack creativity and rp skill in general.

Remove ads