• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Do You Do With A Problem Item?

What Do You Do With A Problem Item?

• Remove it from the game; e.g. sphere of annihilation trap

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Remove it from the game (as above), but replace it with a less powerful item.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Retroactive continuity. Reduce the power of the item.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Explain to the players that the item disrupts game balance and have them suggest a solution.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Leave the item but develop challenges that somehow nullify the item.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 10 25.0%

Jimlock

Adventurer
"Explain to the players that the item disrupts game balance and have them suggest a solution." is the winner by far...

I think its only natural to assume that there are more players than DMs posting in this forum:p

I mean why let a player have a say on such a thing? Sure the DM can talk to his player about it...explain him what's what... but why let him suggest a solution? IMHO a DM should decide on his own, otherwise he loses much credit... A "softy" DM is gonna get run over sooner or later...

frankthedm

First Post
What's the item? Sometimes a problem item has just been misread or interpreted too generously. A fine example is

Instant Fortress said:
The fortress springs up in just 1 round, with the door facing the device’s owner. The door opens and closes instantly at his command. People and creatures nearby (except the owner) must be careful not to be caught by the fortress’s sudden growth. Anyone so caught takes 10d10 points of damage (Reflex DC 19 half).

Some folks interpret this as a reusable Fortressball spell.

Tharkon

First Post
Other (please describe):

A few ideas:

The item is intelligent but has been dormant. It might start disagreeing with the characters actions. This might lead to a point where the characters will want to get rid of the item. Or it might make encounters challenging when the item refuses to function mid-battle.

The item turns out to be cursed, but hasn't met the proper trigger yet.
This could result in different things depending on what kind of curse you put on it, and whether or not this includes preventing to get rid of the item voluntarily.

The item gets stolen back by guardian spirits of the place they looted it from, since it turns out to be some kind of relic. This is only appropriate if the place they stole if from has some significance.

Last edited:

Tharkon

First Post
Another idea, although less dependable:

If they happen to roll a 1 on a saving throw instead of rolling on the table to determine which items get affected automatically decide the problem item be affected. If it is a powerful magic item it may still make its saving throws but otherwise, too bad.

kitcik

Adventurer
I once played in a game where a fellow player had one of those giant pencils with the plastic hand pointing a finger at the end. Every time I got immersed in the game, he would poke me with it.

Poke, poke, poke.

When he set it on the table, got up and turned to go to the bathroom, I picked it up and broke it over the back of his head.

Problem item solved.

Crothian

First Post
No such item. I've ran games were I purposely gave the charcters powerful items that characters of their level should not have. It really did not make a difference in the amount of fun we had or the type of adventrues that we played.

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

Look what exact property causes the problem. Does limiting the daily uses the job? Allowing a save against the ability? Toning it down like from d10s to d6s? Reduce the unconcious-effect to a mere stun or daze? Or a simple change of damage Type, from untyped to some typed one so resistances now apply against it - you get the point.

If that doesn't work, at least make it matter, how it is lost. By this sacrifice they get something in return, an information, key, the end of the Githyanki-Threat to their town or something. This will be even easier for them if the item is cursed before e.g. by a creature killed by it upon the death-strike. This curse need not even have game-mechanical consequences: just have that precious sword STINK, with no cleaning removing the odour, attract swarms of (harmless) flies... ;)

Or give them a very specialized Item of almost equal value, that will help them in their next adventure greatly but will not cause an overall problem like the other.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned by someone else.

Kodam

Last edited:

Remove ads