• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you like about 1E AD&D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Tewligan said:
I'm also quite fond of bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, but I guess I can't credit Gygax for those...

Wide-open settings, and devils from hell,
Stat blocks on napkins, prose written so well,
Monsters so evil but loaded with bling,
These are a few of my favorite things!

Henry said:
I've never found low-level 3rd edition that slow, and in fact find up through about 8th level or so it's as fast as it ever was. However, I do find high-level (12th and up) exactly like you describe. :D ( I had a 24th level climax combat, about 12 rounds of combat, under another DM take SEVEN HOURS.)
IME the biggest time-hog is when players try to figure out how to move across the battlefield without provoking attacks of opportunity. But that horse has been beaten several times in other threads. :p

Darkwolf71

First Post
Rule books that were not written at a sixth grade reading level.

Campaigns that lasted several years.

Different XP charts for different classes. (Sorry, but it should be easier to level as a fighter than as a wizard.)

The 'gritty' feel of the adventures.

And of course, expanding fireballs and bouncing lightning bolts. Oh... good times.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Darkwolf71 said:
And of course, expanding fireballs and bouncing lightning bolts. Oh... good times.

So good, in fact, that I added an expanded version of this to my list above. Thanks for the mental nudge!

Theron

Explorer
Wil McLean's cartoons. The fact that the game had a sense of humor about itself back in the day.

The 1e Ranger. No dual wielding finesse fighter he!

The glorious, evocative artwork. Simple and raw at times, but full of potential. Others mentioned "A Paladin in Hell." It didn't inspire me to duplicate it in a game, it inspired me to earn the right to duplicate it in a game.

Eleven million flavors of polearms. AD&D, specifically first edition, is the source of my lifelong fascination with medieval armour, weapons, and warfare.

Finding out the Lucerne Hammer wasn't a blunt weapon and therefore not legal for Clerics to tote around.

(Interesting factoid: my Firefox spell checker doesn't like polearms or armour, but it doesn't have a problem with Lucerne. Odd.)

The mix-n-match Gamma World and Boot Hill conversion rules.

The utterly mad, nearly stream-of-consciousness level of organization the original DMG sports.

The fact that narrative fluff seemed to matter more back then. Maybe it was the legacy of High Gygaxian English, or just a different approach to the reader in those days, but I don't think you'd ever see a product like the original FR Magister sourcebook today, that sported extensive histories of the magic items therein. I still love the description of the Wand of Teeth.

The fact that I can use it with C&C and hardly break a sweat.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I can merely smile and agree with all said so far. :)

All I can add is that I like the generally give-'er attitude in 1e that seems to have slowly been eroded ever since.

Edit: one other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the sense of mystery. Players didn't know the save tables (or shouldn't have), nor the combat matrix, nor the details contained in the MM, etc. Combine that with playing in an unfamiliar setting - even if its name is familiar you'd have no idea what the DM had done to it - and it's all mystery all the time.

Oh, and Theron: Lucerne is a city in (Switzerland?), so your spellcheck would probably allow it. If it is pinging "armour" you must have it set to American spellings; set it to Canadian or British and you'd be fine. :)

Lanefan

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
The writing.

The quirky things:
- weird magical items (longsword +2, +8 vs rats)
- spells that aren't so neat and tidy (oh crap, my lightning bolt!)
- the fact that once you finally figure out (and ignore the fact that) how the various subsystems work, its pretty simple from then on, compared to 3e's 'easy on the surface, difficult to master'
- the boobs ;)

Remove ads