• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you like about 1E AD&D

rossik

Explorer
i like that halflings dont looked like little elfs

(oh, i see that someone already wrote this..)

i miss the weird monsters

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
PaulofCthulhu said:
tie.jpg
I miss the dress code of past editions - no tie, no game!

AWizardInDallas

First Post
Game World

1. The lack of a specific game world permeating the rules and impossing on my own game world.
2. The lack of most villians and monsters in D&D being cross bred with denizens of hell, each other or worse; the lack of monster templates which complicate; the ease of calculating XP.
3. The low pressure simplicty of creating new monsters, spells and magic items.
4. The expectation that dwarves are not mages and barbarians don't like/fear magic.
5. The freedom to play my way and being reasonably assured that a designer isn't going to cut things I like from my game system simply because he doesn't like them.
6. Adventure plots that aren't heavily reliant on demons and devils or other "supreme evils".
7. Game balance and flavor.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Tewligan said:
I miss the dress code of past editions - no tie, no game!
Don't all your GMs wear a shirt & tie to play? How can you expect to exert supreme executive authority if you're not dressed for it? Our referees dress appropriately, yes, siree! ;)

keep-borderlands-game-group-1.jpg

Last edited:

1. Strongly class/archetype based*
2. The "implied setting" with humanocentric focus, etc.
3. Strong focus on the dungeon
4. Gygaxian prose
5. Art (some stinkers, of course, but many very evocative pieces from a number of artists
6. Different, but usually dead-simple, subsystems to fit different concepts.
7. Embrace of randomness
8. Not PC.
9. "Vancian" magic
10. DMG tables (encounters, dressing, tricks/traps, etc)
11. Simple stat-blocks
12. Embrace of resource-management
13. Embrace of player skill as a big factor in success, in addition to PC qualities
14. XP for gold

All of this added up to a game that was extremely well-suited for the kind of play that I enjoy: dungeon-focused, fast moving, challenging for the player as well as the PC, human-focused, et cetera. Note that late 1E (and even some of the original 1E stuff that was commonly ignored) eroded some of this.

* - pre NWP, of course.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One of the photos in post #40 reminded me of something else I liked about 1e:

Str-Int-Wis-Dex-Con-Cha in that order. :)

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads