• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What do you think of the 4E background to demons & devils?

What do you think of the 4E background to demons & devils? Post a Poll

• I love it!

Votes: 180 51.3%
  • I like it, but am slightly concerned about the changes to the "core setting"

Votes: 31 8.8%
  • I'm in the middle. Either I'm unconcerned, or have feelings in both directions.

Votes: 54 15.4%
  • I'm somewhat against it. I has advantages but I would prefer keeping to the old "core setting"

Votes: 30 8.5%
  • I hate it. Either I don't like it at all, or I think it's wrong to change the "core setting"

Votes: 56 16.0%

Umbran said:
People - direct insults against your fellow posters, or blanket generalizations insulting those who don't agree with you are both uncivil, and are not fit for these boards. Please bring up the caliber of your discourse, or take it elsewhere. [/color]

It's amazing how many times you have to say the same thing, isn't it Umbran?

joe b.

gizmo33

First Post
Erik Mona said:
It's also unclear to what degree the planes will be akin to an afterlife, and the role of mortal souls on the planes remains unclear. I really (really) liked the idea that some demons were the "evolved" souls of wicked mortals (this is Orcus's origin, after all), and it seems like we may be losing that.

Here's my uninformed guess: there are two, probably mutually contradictory things going on with the planes. One is that they are trying to make them interesting places to adventure. The other is that they are trying to make them distinctive from each other. Now *all* demon lords are mindless killing machines and *all* devil lords are schemers? Sooner or later they are going to discover that a whole plane full of mindless killing machines is as boring as an entire plane of Earth/Dirt, and we'll be back to scheming demon lords.

The afterlife issue is the same thing - it's hard to have the kind of variation that makes for an interesting adventure environment if there is some sort of spiritual theme to an area. This problem has existed since the outer planes were conceived of - they try to tell you that monsters find their way into the upper planes of good so that PCs have something to fight while they're there, but it seems a little weird to me.

Ultimately, either everything is going to wind up being like the Prime Material Plane (except everyone has horns and tails), or the designers are going to have to accept that some environments are not going to be as much fun for adventures in terms of variation. I guess it's possible that you could thread the needle here and having a setting with both a strong theme and interesting variation but I don't think it's likely or will be frequent.

Lackhand

First Post
Don't worry, it means the community is growing!

or we're getting senile.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I seem to have forgotten where I put my keyboard...

Intrope

First Post
I'm digging it. Especially because it implies that the Implacable Horror role will revert back to Demons, rather than Far Realms creatures. Because that's what Demons ought to be: the monster everyone *fears*. As far as I can see, the whole reason that the Far Realms caught on was because Demons lost the threat to all reality role when they got made into Side B of the Blood War (after all, the Blood War is a struggle for Dominion!).

gizmo33

First Post
lukelightning said:
On factor is that for all the "demons and devils are different" fluff out there, there is very little difference between the two. If you are going to maintain that they are different, and that the difference is important (especially regarding alignment), then you better make them clearly different and distinct from one another.

Why? I don't see any reason why that has to be the case. Dwarves and elves are different, but dwarves don't have to be 6 inches tall and have two heads to distinguish them from elves. Things can be different without having to be completely different.

It's not clear to me why killing is somehow more "chaotic" than scheming anyway - I can think of lawful or chaotic flavors of either one. I don't think the change in demons/devils is really important. I also don't think that alignment is a good thing to base any game mechanic on - I really don't like alignment once it comes out of the shadows - there is just too much circularity in the definitions, as most/all alignment threads on this board demonstrate IMO.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I really like the flavorful changes.

The only thing I do not like is the Fallen Angel Syndrome (FAS). That bothers me for irrational reasons and it is a significant break from what has come before; then again, I do not have to use it. :)

Grog

First Post
gizmo33 said:
It's not clear to me why killing is somehow more "chaotic" than scheming anyway - I can think of lawful or chaotic flavors of either one. I don't think the change in demons/devils is really important. I also don't think that alignment is a good thing to base any game mechanic on - I really don't like alignment once it comes out of the shadows - there is just too much circularity in the definitions, as most/all alignment threads on this board demonstrate IMO.
You've missed the point of the change. The purpose of the change is to get demons and devils away from alignment-based flavor.

Irda Ranger

First Post
jgbrowning said:
It's amazing how many times you have to say the same thing, isn't it Umbran?

joe b.
Maybe, but I thought RE did a good job of calling Arashi on his b.s. without being crude or "lowering the bar" in any way. Just my 2 cp.

But on topic ...

I did not vote in the poll, because I neither love the change nor care about the "core setting." The Great Wheel never did anything for me. On the merits, I think the desire to clearly distinguish demons and devils is commendable; but I am unsure about how I feel about the execution.

On the Devil side, what is this "order" that they're trying to impose on the Multiverse? Do they have any goal besides escape from the Nine Hells? It would get old if all demon-related quests were "Astral jailbreaks", so I hope they flesh this out some more.

On the Demon side, I could use some more dimensionality than "kill! kill!". That gets boring too after a while. And why don't they care about souls? Maybe they don't want to collect souls, but surely they'd like to destroy souls, and if the only way to destroy a soul is to corrupt it (souls can't be gutted or ripped like flesh), surely there are some demons who take this up as a hobby? It's subtler work than simply tearing things apart, but can't demons be subtle when they choose to be? I can easily imagine a demon spirit taking over a King's mind (like Saruman took over Theoden); I mean, why destroy just one man when you can issue orders and brew feuds that destroy entire Kingdoms? That's a win, baby!

I really, really like name-dropping Tharzidun and the "seed of evil" and the Abyss being a corrupted pustule on the Elemental Tempest. Good themes there. I'll wait and see about this whole "Astral Sea" business. Could be good, but also could be cliched. I'm also hoping that the original "seed of evil" came from the Far Realm ...

What I don't want is a neat and easy "Elemental-Ethereal-Prime-Astra-Dominion" progression, from top to bottom and without room for anything else. One reason I did not like the Great Wheel is that you could not drop or add any new Planes without wholly changing the justification of the cosmos. Everything had to be shoehorned into the Wheel somewhere. This was a "bad thing", IMHO. The same idea behind the "points of light" campaign setting (lots of gaps for DM's to fill in) should apply to cosmology design too. I don't want to be forced to choose between "Ethereal demi-plane" and "Astral dominion." Have a "DM's option" option built right into the cosmology.

Remove ads