• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What do you think of the 4E background to demons & devils?

What do you think of the 4E background to demons & devils? Post a Poll

• I love it!

Votes: 180 51.3%
  • I like it, but am slightly concerned about the changes to the "core setting"

Votes: 31 8.8%
  • I'm in the middle. Either I'm unconcerned, or have feelings in both directions.

Votes: 54 15.4%
  • I'm somewhat against it. I has advantages but I would prefer keeping to the old "core setting"

Votes: 30 8.5%
  • I hate it. Either I don't like it at all, or I think it's wrong to change the "core setting"

Votes: 56 16.0%

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I really like it, but I honestly don't care all that much since it doesn't impact my campaign world. I am going to continue to use the current cosmology that I have written for my game, prior to any publication of the Great Wheel.

What people who're pissing about these changes seem to forget is that this is not canon. You can change, for the sake of your own game, the cosmology, the shape and size of horns present on dragons or the beards on manticores because it's YOUR GAME.

Some folks seem to forget this is a game of imagination. Nothing has to be taken as core, and each and every rule (along with appearance of races, monsters and the like) do not have to neccessarily jive with what is published.

Cheers~

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm mostly unconcerned. Seldom if ever do I do planar travel, or have much to do with demons or devils save as very occassional summoned monsters. Whatever background and fluff they come up for them, I'll more than likely change based on what campaign I'm running at the time.

Aloïsius

First Post
I like it, but I'm somewhat neutral about it : My next campaign will probably be homebrew anyway, with its own cosmology. I always disliked the great wheel, however.

Glyfair

Explorer
Moniker said:
What people who're pissing about these changes seem to forget is that this is not canon.

But a lot of the people who are complaining consider the "core assumptions" to be canon.

lukelightning

First Post
C'mon, all you "haters", you know you love it! If there is one thing that gamers like, it's rules that they hate so they can redo them to suit. I can practically hear you all mentally houseruling to suit your campaigns.

I love it!

But I mostly play Eberron, anyway, where the Great Wheel (etc.) was given the Great Finger.

Besides, this just gives them a good excuse to put together a really solid Planescape setting book sometime in the future, which I'll probably buy.

tlantl

First Post
Why do I have to love it. I like the changes but I certainly don't love them. I would vote favorably but there is no option that fits with my feelings that these changes make more sense than the 2e garbage invented to appease a bunch of hysterical... Uh, erm. I have no wories about the changes to the core setting. Seems I don't fit the criteria for a vote so I will abstain.

I don't much hold with the demon changes but the devil's background is pretty much the way I have handled them from the start. The cosmology changes are very vexing though. So the outer planes are gone, to be replaced by elemental realms. I will have to continue to use the original map of the outer and inner planes as I have for years.

The background story in my world will remain the same. The changes to the game will not affect the history or the known multiverse, although if the new versions are really compelling I might add them to the mix as recently discovered, or assume they were always there and are now ready to be exploited.

GVDammerung

First Post
Wotc is tampering with success for no objective reason that is apparent. If this "new hotness" is supposed to attract a new generation of gamers, I have not heard a reason why this is so nor why the prior treatment could not do so as well. What we have then is "because we say so" change. Some will salute and cheer. Others will ponder why a joyful noise is superior to a clear articulation of objective reasoning.

lukelightning

First Post
GVDammerung said:
Wotc is tampering with success for no objective reason that is apparent.

On factor is that for all the "demons and devils are different" fluff out there, there is very little difference between the two. If you are going to maintain that they are different, and that the difference is important (especially regarding alignment), then you better make them clearly different and distinct from one another.

This will give new gamers a better idea of how to use these monsters, etc.

I, for one, actually prefer to lump them all together and get rid of the law-chaos divide.

And honestly, how often does the origin of monsters come up in a game? There you are, killing orcs and taking there stuff, and one decides to debate you on the metaphysical nature of fiends?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Arashi Ravenblade said:
I see it as change for the sake of change. The sheep will love it though.

Either you want to make it really clear that you don't mean that theose hwo like the change are sheep, or you want to leave this thread for a while

Ruin Explorer said:
There's something intensely hilarious about someone with an Aragorn avatar and a ludicrous fancy-boy fantasy name calling people sheep.

Either you want to stop personally attacking fellow posters, or you want to leave this thread for a while.

People - direct insults against your fellow posters, or blanket generalizations insulting those who don't agree with you are both uncivil, and are not fit for these boards. Please bring up the caliber of your discourse, or take it elsewhere.

Remove ads