• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think when DM introduces old PC as an NPC?

As a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC?

• Oh no!! Eeek!!

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • This can't be good

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Sigh...well it might not suck

Votes: 43 14.2%
  • okay, let's see where he goes with it

Votes: 145 48.0%
  • if it is his favorite it should be good

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Awesome, it must be being introduced for a great reason

Votes: 45 14.9%

Crothian

First Post
There are horror stories of DMs introducing a prized NPC to the group and the DM havign the NPC out shine the players. THere are stories of the DM basically being another player while DMing allowing him to get to play the character he charishes. I'm sure there are instances though of DM's doing a great job with old NPCs, they just never get announced or told.

So, as a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC of theirs? Poll coming.

Numion

First Post
Crothian said:
There are horror stories of DMs introducing a prized NPC to the group and the DM havign the NPC out shine the players. THere are stories of the DM basically being another player while DMing allowing him to get to play the character he charishes. I'm sure there are instances though of DM's doing a great job with old NPCs, they just never get announced or told.

So, as a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC of theirs? Poll coming.

I'd probably scheme to 'off' the NPC. Or make up some reasons why he/she can't really tag along. Generally just create issues until the issue goes away.

Alternatively I could just tell the DM that this is really lame.

Crothian

First Post
Numion said:
Alternatively I could just tell the DM that this is really lame.

Why is it lame? THe DM introduces new NPCs into the game, what is wrong with him saving time and using one already existing?

mirivor

First Post
It depends on what the NPC's role is.

As a DM I have introduced my favorite, typically high-level, characters as NPCs on several occasions. They have always had the ability to "outshine" my PCs, but high-level characters tend to do that to lower level ones. My NPC/PCs are typically advisors or catalysts who make short cameos into my adventures on occasion. It is one of the privileges of DM'ing; you get to play a cherished character just a little bit more!

I would not advise on introducing a higher level NPC as a part of the party. I have never seen this done, but I cannot see it ending well.

Later!

Numion

First Post
Crothian said:
Why is it lame? THe DM introduces new NPCs into the game, what is wrong with him saving time and using one already existing?

It depends. There is a probability that it's not going to be lame, and in that case I wouldn't call it such. But I'd still try to off the NPC, or try to lose him from tagging along. It's the only way to be sure.

Now admittedly I've been subjected to DMPCs only a couple of times, and those probably were not old PCs, but why take a chance. Besides, it would likely add more feeling to the battle, knowing the DM actually has emotional ties to the 'target'. Just for fun! :D

.. I been reading too much KoDT lately :heh:

Crothian

First Post
mirivor said:
It depends on what the NPC's role is.

Don't the PCs decide this? They can ask the character to adventure with him, or they can leave him at the inn. They can send him off on some info gathering thing or just drive him off.

sniffles

First Post
I've had this happen several times recently, although maybe not in precisely the way you mean, Crothian. I tend to look at it with interest, wondering what cool reason the GM has for bringing in this character. But in my experiences it hasn't been the GM's former favorite PC that he decided to introduce. One of my GM's ran another campaign in another system for several years, and when he started his current campaign he announced his intention to introduce elements from his old game into the new one. Since the new one isn't set in the same locale as the old game, he hasn't had the actual PCs from the old game show up. Instead he's had what one might call "alternate reality" versions of the former PCs.

Another GM is doing something similar, but his newer game is taking place in the same setting as his previous campaign, so he's having our old PCs from the other campaign turn up occasionally as NPCs. My old character hasn't shown up yet, but we've already seen the former PC of one of the other players several times. I find it very entertaining, like an in-joke for our group, or like having characters on tv shows do crossovers with other related shows. Since both GMs are using other players' former PCs, it's interesting to see what they do with them, and I don't worry that they'll try to turn those characters into GMPCs.

DarkSoldier

First Post
My current game is set in the world of the novel I'm writing, but 55 years later, so all the characters save two are dead. I have a plan to make sure they don't outshine the PCs: "You have to do this on your own. You won't learn anything if I swoop in and solve every problem in the world."

Remove ads