• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think?

tburdett

Explorer
We recently invited a new player to join our group.

I had never met this person and only had the note that they placed in the local game store to go on.

"Long time role-player who is looking for a mature group of gamers. Experience with 2E, Warhammer FRP, and GURPS. Willing to learn new games."

He didn't sound out of the ordinary.

I brought the note to our weekly session and since we were down a player, we decided to invite this person to game with us.

The guy shows up wearing fake leather armor, a fake sword, a plastic helmet, and he's carrying a large canvas duffel bag that he frequently calls his 'Bag of Holding'. He didn't seem to notice, at all, that he was the only one dressed differently.

We alternate between my home and another players home on a weekly basis. This guy showed up during the week that we were gaming at the other players home and he stayed for the whole session. He didn't really fit in. He kept doing things that made us wonder about his mental condition. At one point he actually climbed inside of his 'Bag of Holding' when I asked him what his character was going to do. He said he was going to try to hide.

I think we would have probably gamed with him for a while, just to see if we could get past his appearance and mannerisms, if my wife hadn't been there when he showed up at our home the following week.

I was going to tell him that he probably wasn't going to work out before we left the players home that night, knowing what my wife's reaction would be if he came to our home wearing the whole 'outfit', but then decided, "What the heck! He seems to be enjoying himself and, as a bonus, it'll be really interesting to see her reaction when he shows up."

I'll give her credit. She actually waited about 15 minutes before she pulled me aside and informed me that mental patients were not welcome to game in our home. I laughed and told here that it would be his last session and that it would be fine. She made me promise that it was the last time and then took the children and left.

Have you ever had somebody like this show up to game in one of your sessions?

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
tburdett said:
I recently invited a new player to join our group.

I had never met this person and only had the note that they placed in the local game store to go on.

"Long time role-player who is looking for a mature group of gamers. Experience with 2E, Warhammer FRP, and GURPS. Willing to learn new games."

He didn't sound out of the ordinary.

I brought the note to our weekly session and since we were down a player, we decided to invite this person to game with us.

The guy shows up wearing leather armor, a fake sword, a plastic helmet, and he's carrying a large canvas duffel bag that he frequently calls his 'Bag of Holding'.

Hmmmm... How frequently...?

tburdett

Explorer
Re: Re: What do you think?

Mark said:

Hmmmm... How frequently...?

He made several references to the Bag of Holding during our first session with him. We all laughed the first few times because we thought he was joking.

When we all realized that he ACTUALLY believed that the bag had magical properties we stopped laughing about it and just kept the game moving along.

If he didn't freak my wife out so badly we probably wouldn't have had a problem with him gaming with us.

I have a couple of relatives who suffer from similar challenges and I see how much they benefit by being included in activities with people who don't stereotype them, or treat them poorly.

tburdett

Explorer
Theuderic said:
Well I say give him a shot then. So long as he doesn't try and cast any stinking cloud spells your way....

If he didn't freak my wife out so badly I wouldn't have a problem with him joining us. He really seemed to enjoy the session and wasn't as disruptive as some other players I've had. In the end, I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable in her own home.

Pbartender

First Post
Theuderic said:
Ok forgive me but I have to ask how did he freak out your wife, what did he do LOL?

You don't think that this...

tburdett said:
The guy shows up wearing fake leather armor, a fake sword, a plastic helmet, and he's carrying a large canvas duffel bag that he frequently calls his 'Bag of Holding'. He didn't seem to notice, at all, that he was the only one dressed differently.

...would freak out your average friendly neighborhood wife?

Remove ads