• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you want in a Dark Sun book (sans psionics)?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
...The restrictions people are asking for Dark Sun do seem to be much more strict than in these cases. I don't actually know the right way to do this, as I think using space for "These spells are banned!" kind of silly, but I would enjoy a section explaining alternative rules for spells that create food/water/nourishment, and for how clerics/wizards work. A flat ban actually seems like an uninteresting way of circumventing this problem.

The original 2E Boxed Set has a banned/modified section in "New Spells," which describes any spell that operated differently or not at all. It'd be a must (e.g. Reincarnation, find familiar, anything calling fey or woodland beings). The writers of Dark Sun took a bold move by risking taking away a player's favorite spell, but it paid off as one of their most successful lines ever, even if TSR was a disaster.

So, this would need to be a chapter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
From Ravnica;

Races
The people of Ravnica include members of many different races. Aside from humans, elves, and a smattering of half-elves, the races from the Player's Handbook are unknown on Ravnica, unless they're visiting from other worlds.

Classes
Your character can have any class that appears in the Player's Handbook (or other sources, with your DM's permission). Certain classes and subclasses are especially appropriate for particular guilds. reflecting the traditions and training of those guilds. This section can help you choose a guild if you already know what class you want to play.

There are some restriction to the races here, but it's also purposefully worded so that anyone can use them if they want to anyway (which isn't exactly hard considering the whole concept of Planeswalkers). Doesn't seem to be any class restrictions.

No idea how Theros will frame this because it's not out yet, but it probably will be about the same.

The restrictions people are asking for Dark Sun do seem to be much more strict than in these cases. I don't actually know the right way to do this, as I think using space for "These spells are banned!" kind of silly, but I would enjoy a section explaining alternative rules for spells that create food/water/nourishment, and for how clerics/wizards work. A flat ban actually seems like an uninteresting way of circumventing this problem.

Theros is even more limited in Races (Humans, Centaurs, Satyrs, Minotaurs, and Leonin, no other PHB options.

Class options are less restricted, as that fits the Magic Settings.

The point is, WotC has shown a willingness to limit options for a specific Setting, and nothing in Dark Sun would seem ludicrous.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I don't want to push too many buttons, but I despise how 4E Dark Sun handled some races; making Goliath = Half-Giants and Dragonborn = Dray, plus the additions of Tieflings... it isn't something I'd like to return to.
Goliaths, when introduced, were literately "3E half-giants but the psionics removed" Half Giants are gonna be Goliath based. Two editions have done it so far, 2E's the outlier here

I'd also argue the Draconblood from Wildemount make perfect 2nd gen Dray, especially given both Dray were playable back in 2E

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
The Thri-Kreen in the monster manual look pretty buggy, at least to me, so you should be good there....

The 2E Dark Sun thri-kreen were alien, large bugs with massive thoraxes, and somewhere between editions they lost their thoraxes and shrank to skinny carapaced humanoids with 4 arms. So far D&D has been adverse to large-sized races (for a variety of reasons suited to its own thread). But, it'd be a disappointment again if they're being half-assed about the setting (e.g. let's shrink half-giants down to goliaths).

The 2E Dark Sun thri-kreen were alien, large bugs with massive thoraxes, and somewhere between editions they lost their thoraxes and shrank to skinny carapaced humanoids with 4 arms. So far D&D has been adverse to large-sized races (for a variety of reasons suited to its own thread). But, it'd be a disappointment again if they're being half-assed about the setting (e.g. let's shrink half-giants down to goliaths).
Just be happy they haven't turned into monster girls is my response to that.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Nooo! Not the Baconblood. Anything but that. If anything in that book needs a name change...
Dray's a fine name change, and they even get that int boost :p

I haven't watched CR but I've heard from people that they're properly called Draconians which is, yeah, sort of an equally in-use name so I do understand why they went towards Draconblood just, yeah. Stuff like that is why Lunch Base and Lava Beef are jokes over in the speedrunning side of things

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The first time I saw the name, I saw Baconblood, and now I can't unsee it. Anything but that. Dragonians, Draconians, Dragon Men, Man Dragons, Dragolians, Drag Queens, literally anything else would be better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads