• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you want in a Dark Sun book (sans psionics)?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The original 2E Boxed Set has a banned/modified section in "New Spells," which describes any spell that operated differently or not at all. It'd be a must (e.g. Reincarnation, find familiar, anything calling fey or woodland beings). The writers of Dark Sun took a bold move by risking taking away a player's favorite spell, but it paid off as one of their most successful lines ever, even if TSR was a disaster.

So, this would need to be a chapter.
Tomb of Annihilation had a section on "these spells misfire / fail in the Tomb of Horrors because Acererak will not let you escape so easily" and took less than a page. The Athas version may need the full page to cover everything. I never saw any player complaints "That's not fair, I want my spells back!"

I suggest to allow an open door for a future crossover with Jakandor, like a almost spin-off.

And I want to know more about the "land within the wind" (feyland), and why sorcerer-kings didn't want to conquer lands beyond Tyr, or at least some no-canon suggestion for possible spin-off.

Coroc

Hero
The 2E Dark Sun thri-kreen were alien, large bugs with massive thoraxes, and somewhere between editions they lost their thoraxes and shrank to skinny carapaced humanoids with 4 arms. So far D&D has been adverse to large-sized races (for a variety of reasons suited to its own thread). But, it'd be a disappointment again if they're being half-assed about the setting (e.g. let's shrink half-giants down to goliaths).

But I think even 2e Thrikreen were medium creatures or do I remember wrong?
It made a big difference with many 2e weapons dealing more damage to large creatures (some did less though). I think 2e Half giants did get double hit dice to compensate for that even, but I am quite sure 2e Thrikreen did not.

Coroc

Hero
Tomb of Annihilation had a section on "these spells misfire / fail in the Tomb of Horrors because Acererak will not let you escape so easily" and took less than a page. The Athas version may need the full page to cover everything. I never saw any player complaints "That's not fair, I want my spells back!"

I generally want them to dial back on the anything goes credo for every campaign world.
Restrict, restrict, restrict (races, classes, combos, equipment, spells) It does pay out, it is a challenge not a punishment and it is what made many of the famous settings unique.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Class Stuff:
  • Gladiator as a Fighter subclass, Athasian Bard as a Rogue subclass.
  • Templar is a subclass option for both Clerics and Warlocks.
  • Elemental and Paraelemental Domains for Clerics.
  • (Para)Elemental Domains as a secondary subclass for Rangers.
Race Stuff:
  • Athasian subrace for Humans, (Half-)Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings.
  • Aarakocra, Gith, Thri-Kreen, Pterrans, Muls, Half-Giants, and Dray as actual races.
  • Maybe Genasi as player races, definitely not Tieflings.
  • Anything else that is canonically excluded from Athas is banned.
Setting Stuff:
  • Revert the timeline to the original boxed set... with the exception of Free Tyr.

Just a few things I have noticed nobody seems to be interested in seeing again...

-Pterrans
-Trader class
-Poisoner Bard

A poisoner rogue subclass would probably reasonable, but i don't think it belongs as a bard. Do you rewrite the base bard to strip the spellcasting out or do you just cut it and accept there'll be no 'inspiration' class? I want something reasonably solid to support PC traders, whether that's a subclass or not I'm pretty agnostic on. Pterrans - meh.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The Thri-Kreen in the monster manual look pretty buggy, at least to me, so you should be good there.

Although if they looked like Jeff Goldblum at the end of The Fly I wouldn't complain.
Starting in 3e, thri-kreen became more humanoid in shape and it's always rubbed me the wrong way. As a point of comparison, here is what I (and many of us) view as the definitive image of a thri-kreen.

They're mantis warriors, not Star Trek walk-ons.

Thri-kreen.jpg

Theros is even more limited in Races (Humans, Centaurs, Satyrs, Minotaurs, and Leonin, no other PHB options.

Class options are less restricted, as that fits the Magic Settings.

The point is, WotC has shown a willingness to limit options for a specific Setting, and nothing in Dark Sun would seem ludicrous.

Obviously I haven't seen Theros yet, but I hope you're right, and it's a strongly-worded limitation (which obviously any individual DM can rule 0), because the "limitation" @Urriak Uruk quoted from Ravnica is not a limitation at all, but rather a mildly-worded suggestion that some races might be more or less suitable (and doesn't appear to limit classes/subclasses at all).

As people are saying, Dark Sun needs something vastly more severe, something that clearly lays out that by default, no non-Athasian races should be present, no normal Cleric subclasses should be present, certain spells should be absent, and so on. As I said, in a later DM-oriented chapter they can have a paragraph on flexing this, but the entire setting should be designed on the basis that it holds true.

Starting in 3e, thri-kreen became more humanoid in shape and it's always rubbed me the wrong way. As a point of comparison, here is what I (and many of us) view as the definitive image of a thri-kreen.

They're mantis warriors, not Star Trek walk-ons.

100% agree. They're mantis-beings, not humans with bug-ish features and maybe extra arms. That DiTerlizzi one is really good. They need to have an abdomen and a totally non-human physique. A lot of the more recent stuff for them just makes them look like 4-armed, vaguely insect-headed humanoids who have a humanoid torso (rather than a thorax and abdomen separately like an insect), and don't even have a real exoskeleton, just bony plates on top of relatively normal flesh.

Given Theros is adding Centaurs, who are far more extreme, this surely cannot be a real problem to do either.

A poisoner rogue subclass would probably reasonable, but i don't think it belongs as a bard. Do you rewrite the base bard to strip the spellcasting out or do you just cut it and accept there'll be no 'inspiration' class?

The concept, I think was something out of Dune... bards were political gifts that nobles and the like would send to each other. They were often assassins, but it was also a faux pas to refuse a gift. They couldn't backstab, though. Perhaps a rogue subclass that gives them inspiration abilities plus the ability to apply the poisoned condition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads