• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does "potation" mean?

Delta

First Post
OGL Section 1(b) "Derivative Works" mentions "potation" as one example. I've looked at a number of dictionaries and the only definition I find for that is "the act of drinking (esp., liquor)".

Does anyone know what "potation" means in this legal/publishing context? Any reference to a place that has the definition in this context?

Mister Doug

First Post
OGL Section 1(b) "Derivative Works" mentions "potation" as one example. I've looked at a number of dictionaries and the only definition I find for that is "the act of drinking (esp., liquor)".

Does anyone know what "potation" means in this legal/publishing context? Any reference to a place that has the definition in this context?

Maybe they're afraid someone is going to make 4e compatible malt liquor? ("I'd like a 40 of the Tarrasque Malt Liquor. I plan on drinking it as a standard action and sliding out the door. Take 1[W] and be dazed for one round.")

Corjay

First Post
I just figured it was a spelling error. Though I can't think what the word is supposed to be. Maybe they wrote the GSL at a drinking party. :p

see

Pedantic Grognard
Well, a "portation" is used in some contexts to mean the result of porting software between platforms, and so would fit into the general category of "Derivative Material". Word's spellchecker doesn't reconginze it, and recomments "potation" as the first correction.

So what we have here is probably a clause borrowed from a software license that was then spellchecked into a different word.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads