• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Edition of D&D was your First (with fixed Poll)

Which Edition of D&D did you first play?

• Old D&D

Votes: 30 7.2%
  • Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 212 51.1%
  • 1st ed AD&D

Votes: 71 17.1%
  • 2nd ed AD&D

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • 3rd ed D&D

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • 3.5 ed D&D

Votes: 13 3.1%

Roadkill101

Explorer
I started with Moldvay's Basic booklet (not set the entire set, I bought just the rulebook from a friend) in '81. Got the PHB, DMG & MM for christmas of '83. Picked up 2nd Ed, in '89-91 while in the Army. Got the core books for 3e as released.

I'll buy the 4e core books to add to my edition collection. Can't say for sure if it'll get played, I haven't run a D&D game since before 3e was released (tried 3e, didn't care for it).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I started with Basic/Expert D&D -- my first rulebook was a coverless Expert book someone had left on the schoolbus -- back in 1980.

I don't begrudge the issuing of 4E, and I acknowledge that 3.5 has problems. That said, I don't really like many of the "fixes" 4E is going to offer, and I simply have too much 3.5 material -- quite a bit of it still completely unexplored -- to switch to 4E.

I'll skip 4E the way I largely skipped 2E, and maybe come back to current with 5E.

arwenarrowny

First Post
Started with 1e (we found a first printing AD&D PHB on the side of the highway one day) and played some B/X D&D, but I really cut my teeth on early 2e stuff. Stopped playing around '95, and didn't get back into the hobby until '99 when I discovered some friends of mine played. We set up a game using the Player's Option set (apparently we weren't powergamers, because I never thought those rules were broken until I went back and used them with a different group of friends). But it was 3e that really got me back into gaming.

As far as the second question - I'll look at 4e and if it looks significantly better than what I'm playing now, I'll probably drag as many of my players into it as I can.

Moggthegob

First Post
I started playing when I was 8 with my uncle's Basic boxed set and him as DM. So technically it was my first. I am young though an at 19 most of my dnd experience has been 3.x. I do not planon switching to 4e simply becusI no longerwish to spend my expendable income on dnd books. A girlfriend seems to be so much more important at this stage.

That not to say I wont keep playing on the contrary she plays too. She just prefers to go out more than once every month or two.

Cant imagine why. :/

Agamon

Adventurer
I broke my teeth on Moldvay, then bastardized 1E rules into the game. Played 2E off and on before leaving it in frustration. Soon learned of the announcement of 3E, played that until 3.5 came out, been playing that since. D&D's been king in my games, but not the only game I've played. I'll likely be moving on to 4E, but other games call to me in the interim.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Started in 2E.

Will learn the rules of 4E.To not do so would cost me far to much fun on the Rules forum. As far as play or run, Depends how much I like it and how much of my sensibilities it offends. It also depends on my group since they have been bit by the Warhammer FRPG bug.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Red Box

hated AD&D so I played GURPS until d20 came out

I will not be getting 4e unless it is truely amazing (and better than True20 or M&M or any of the many D20 forms)

Remove ads