What exactly IS an arcane spell?

Dave G

First Post
In the description of the sorcerer class, it says they can choose spells from the Sorcerer/Wizards Spell List. It goes on to say they can learn other spells from scrolls and other arcane sources...

So does this mean anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Palskane

First Post
Ok then, another question.

Are creatures with spell-like abilities considered arcane spell casters? According to everything I have read, spell-like abilities are just like a spell. They can be interrupted, provoke AoO's, etc... If they are not considered arcane casters, why not?

MythandLore

First Post
Palskane said:
Ok then, another question.

Are creatures with spell-like abilities considered arcane spell casters? According to everything I have read, spell-like abilities are just like a spell. They can be interrupted, provoke AoO's, etc... If they are not considered arcane casters, why not?

For the very reason in there name they are nether aracne or divine, they are infact 'spell-like' they aren't even real spells.

Spell-like abilities, have no spell components (verbal, somatic, material, focus or xp)
They can't be counter-spelled or used to counter a spell.
But, they are subject to anti-magic fields and spell resistance.

To learn more about spell-like abilities and other special ablilities goto page 7 in the MM and page 71 of the DMG.

Last edited:

Nareau

Explorer
Bards cast arcane Cure Light Wounds spells

I imagine that this description indicates that Sorcerors could theoretically learn spells on the Bard spell list (if they had a bardic friend to teach them). Or a sorceror could learn a spell that his wizard friend has been researching (that is totally new, and not on the standard Wiz/Sor list).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bards cast arcane Cure Light Wounds spells... but Sorcerers don't...

I imagine that this description indicates that Sorcerors could theoretically learn spells on the Bard spell list (if they had a bardic friend to teach them). Or a sorceror could learn a spell that his wizard friend has been researching (that is totally new, and not on the standard Wiz/Sor list).

It's been stated that Sorcerers can't learn Bardic spells.

(D&D FAQ, maybe? I can't remember, sorry :( )

From memory, essentially what this means is that the DM can require a Sorcerer to find a scroll before allowing him to pick up a Wiz/Sor spell from a non-Core supplement, if he so chooses, or, as you say, a researched spell.

-Hyp.

Nareau

Explorer
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Just out of curiosity...Could a sorceror/cleric cast a bardic scroll of "Cure Light Wounds"? He can cast arcane spells, and it's on his spell list...

MythandLore

First Post
Spider said:
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Just out of curiosity...Could a sorceror/cleric cast a bardic scroll of "Cure Light Wounds"? He can cast arcane spells, and it's on his spell list...
I think last time someone checked with "the sage" he said 'no.' :rolleyes:

This can be answered by looking into the Core Rulebooks -
If you want to cast a spell from a scroll, you have to fulfill some criterias (I do not have the PHB/DMG with me, so I might miss something, but anyway...):
- You must have a sufficient "spellcasting ability score". (This depends on your spell caster type and the type of the scroll. INT for wizards casting from arcane scrolls, CHA for sorcerers and Bardas casting from arcane scrolls, WIS for divine casters casting from divine scrolls. The score has to be 10+spell level)
- You must have a sufficient caster level in the type of the scroll (Usually spell level x 2 - 1. Some Core Classes and Bard Classes do not follow this scheme, look at their "spells known" list for this purpose)
- You must have the correct caster type. A Cleric can only cast from Divine Scrolls, a Wizard only from Arcane Scrolls and so on.
- The Spell in question has to be on your spell list.

If you do not have a sufficient spell caster level, you must make a spell caster level check. I cannot remember the DC, but it wasn`t to difficult.

If you have a Use Magic Device Skill, you can use any scroll, at least if you roll well :) .

So, a Wizard cannot use a arcane Scroll of Cure Light, since he does not have the spell on its spell list. A Cleric cannot use the Scroll since it is an arcane scroll, not a divine.
A Bard of level 2 or 3(not certain about it. I believe the formula for his acces to x-level spells was caster level x 3 or caster level x 3 -1) with a Charisma score of 11+ could use it without any penalty.
(He has the spell on its list, he has the sufficent charisma & caster level)

Interestingly, a Wizard or Sorcerer with a INT (wizard) or CHA (sorcerer) Score of 13 or higher could use a arcane 3rd level scroll of Charm Monster (which is only for bards a 3rd level spell. Wizards & Sorceres have it as a 4 or 5th level spell, I believe)...
I wonder what would happen if a wizard tried to learn the spell from the scroll - would it jump to a 5th level spell or would it stay 3rd level spell...

About the sorcerer learning spells from special arcane scrolls:
I heard (or read) that this was a rest of an older version of the sorcerer...

By the way: Wands work independ of your caster type and your caster level. A Bard can use the cleric`s Cure Light Wand and vice versa. (The same applies for Rangers and Paladins).

Last edited:

Remove ads