What film did you just see?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Well ... McCarthy isn't one for Hollywood endings. That he leaves it unresolved is, well, his style and what draws a lot of people to his work. That said, I do believe the focus is far more on relationships than it is on some sort of cautionary tale. The whole reason the event that caused the world to be what it was isn't really addressed is because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what happened, it matters what is.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to convince you that what I'm seeing is right - we're just chattin'. See, I can't stand that books are taught. There's more than one way to see a lot of stuff out there and it's a shame that some people will try to tell you what you get out of a book is wrong. It just isn't ... er, unless it's, like, way off base. Some professor or teacher sitting there telling students what a book is really about is laughable to me. The only person that could know is the author and unless they've said something about it there's no real way to know. Hell, a lot of times they don't even know.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I just saw the Last Starfighter after you guys talking about it.

Well it certainly is a film that says that if you join the military, you'll can bcome big, even if you come from Hicksville. Why was the black ddue so stereotypical, it was made in 1984. I guess for CGI archeology it is fine, that and it being the first film about someone playing videogames and becomng a drone polite because he is good at it.

Nellisir

Hero
Well ... McCarthy isn't one for Hollywood endings. That he leaves it unresolved is, well, his style and what draws a lot of people to his work. That said, I do believe the focus is far more on relationships than it is on some sort of cautionary tale. The whole reason the event that caused the world to be what it was isn't really addressed is because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what happened, it matters what is.
Have you read Never Let Me Go? I think you might enjoy it.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to convince you that what I'm seeing is right - we're just chattin'. See, I can't stand that books are taught. There's more than one way to see a lot of stuff out there and it's a shame that some people will try to tell you what you get out of a book is wrong. It just isn't ... er, unless it's, like, way off base. Some professor or teacher sitting there telling students what a book is really about is laughable to me. The only person that could know is the author and unless they've said something about it there's no real way to know. Hell, a lot of times they don't even know.
One of the strangest experiences I've ever had was sitting quietly in a creative writing class, hearing my short story discussed and dissected. I was one of the few people who wrote a "genre" story (though I'd argue that most of the others wrote in the "Bennington College" genre - that is, the story is set in November, it's grey and dreary, a drive to NYC is involved, someone is gay, and someone commits suicide). People got a lot more meaning out of my 10 pages than I'd ever knowingly put into them. It was...illuminating.

Nellisir

Hero
There's three books - Nightwatch, Daywatch, and Twilight Watch... They're written by some Russian guy. The movies don't really do them justice - the books go a lot deeper into the little details of the world - but I think they did manage to capture the general feel of the books pretty well.
I think wikipedia (or comments in IMDB?) said that the first two movies are both taken from the first book, and for whatever reason a third movie is unlikely. But I didn't spend a lot of time researching it, so....

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I think wikipedia (or comments in IMDB?) said that the first two movies are both taken from the first book, and for whatever reason a third movie is unlikely. But I didn't spend a lot of time researching it, so....
Last I heard the third movie had changed name to Dusk Watch and had entered some weird development hell where even the director didn't know what was going on with it.

Nellisir

Hero
Dead Man's Shoes, which was excellent, and Europa Report, which was...I dunno. Well done, but a bit of a let down. The twist at the end, the final discovery, was exactly what you thought it would be.

Cloud Atlas. Had zero desire to see this one, thinking it was going to be bad. But my dad brought it over and we both really liked it. It wasn't an immediate thing, took about 45 minutes to get into it, but at about that point we both were fully engrossed. It is basically bunch of different genre films weaved together with the same theme and connected by past lives and karma. Each one was distinct and true to the genre, bu fit the broader arch of the film.

Remove ads