• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What games are the best organized / easy to understand ?

Lastoutkast

First Post
As in well written and won't have to reference a website or a friend to understand it. Some kind of D20 type is preferred.

Thanks all !!!

1of3

Explorer
PbtA games are pretty easy to understand. For a D&D like experience, you can look at Dungeonworld. SRD is free.

Maybe it's my years showing, but I still think the old basic D&D red box remains the best-presented, easiest to get started with product.

For something more modern, though, I'd say Castles & Crusades is pretty solid and simple.

Razjah

Explorer
I don't know any d20 system game that the books actually explain how to play well. Actually, 4th edition did a good job of explaining how adventuring works, structuring an adventure, and the like. Every other edition I've played lacks some basics.

I'll second the PbtA games. Dungeon World is really easy to grasp.

I've found Burning Wheel really easy learn how to play, using the first 78 pages. Character Building is elaborate, but rewarding. FATE Core does a really good job of building through how play and the mechanics work; not so great on how to build adventures and structure sessions.

PbtA games are pretty easy to understand. For a D&D like experience, you can look at Dungeonworld. SRD is free.

I have no clue what this abbreviation even means, so that already needing explaining is a minus to people who want simple. Also, people new to gaming would have no idea what a SRD is, plus a lot of SRDs are even less explanatory than the actual books.

For something that actually explains the system and "handholds" a player through learning the rules and making characters, maybe a more complex system that also has a basic, or beginners, box set or book would be good. I have been gaming for a long time and have tried a lot of different stuff, so it is hard to put myself in a position to say what is simple, yet well organized for beginners, especially for the complexities of the D20 system.

Using a search engine of your choice, might have alleviated that problem.

Gesendet von meinem K011 mit Tapatalk

No, people people not assuming that everyone automatically knows all their pet abbreviations would be the solution. When someone is asking for something simple and you throw in abbreviations without any explanation of what they are, then you are a part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Relax, folks. No need to be prickly.

PbtA is short for "Powered by the Apocalypse," a series of games that use "playbooks" that fully define your character from the start. No building a PC required; instead, you make 3-4 choices and you're ready to play.

Dungeonworld is one of these. There's lots of them, in many genres. Quality varies.

neobolts

Explorer
There are a number of "d20 rules light" systems that can be Googled up. Some of them heavily assume familiarity with the standard rules, but there may be some that are great for introducing tabletop role playing without needed prior experience or context.

I'll say that Dungeon World is very easy for new players, but if you had never run a tabletop RPG before and started with DW, it could be a little confusing.

I recently checked out Ryuutama, and found it was very easy to understand for first-time tabletop players and DMs. I haven't actually run it yet, but it is worth a look. It's a lighthearted Japanese tabletop.

Another gateway for understanding tabletop could be a very rules light system, like the free one-page sci-fi system Lasers & Feelings. It lacks the depth needed to run an ongoing campaign, but could work as an intro to some general concepts.

I also found this article that goes over some good suggestions: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/10-tabletop-rpgs-for-beginners.html

Tony Vargas

Legend
As in well written and won't have to reference a website or a friend to understand it. Some kind of D20 type is preferred.
Actual OGL d20 games face a community of d20 players who've likely played D&D, there's not a strong need for them to be accessible to genuinely-new players. 'Simple'/easy-to-understand or clearly-presented (or 'rules lite') for a d20 game means easy to pick up after having played 3.x D&D and maybe other d20 games.

D&D editions, too, have mostly been aimed at players of past editions - the current, 5e, moreso and more explicitly than ever. Basic sets are at least nominally aimed at new players, but usually as to bring them into the established community, so it's not just presenting and learning a game, it's presenting D&D's baggage.

In that sense, the earliest starter sets for D&D are the ones most aimed at totally-new players - but, they have the overwhelming disadvantage of being from the early days of the hobby. 5e's existing-fan emphasis was a pendulum-swing away from 4e trying to be more accessible to new gamers, which it did modestly, though, ironically, not so much with what passed for a basic set, which cloned the 'Red Box' art and was really more an homage for the benefit of long-time fans.

So, yeah, check out some of the non-d20 games that get mentions. Powered by the Apocalypse or Gumshoe based games, FUDGE based games, maybe, even something like Fiasco that's as much party game as RPG. Or, going the other way, ease in from the boardgame side of things with Castle Ravenloft or Wrath of Ashardalon, if there's still one kicking around at your FLGS.

Remove ads