• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What games from the early 80's are still being published?

Garmorn

Explorer
If you are saying there is very little difference between the skill list on the back cover of Character Law 1, and the skill list as is appears in RMC2 - you never played a character under both systems.

The difference in the game after the revised Character Law and Campaign Law and after RMC1 and RMC2 is HUGE.

Spell Law and Arm's Law/Claw Law did not change -- and the base underlying mechanics are the same. But everything else did. The Skill list expands by ... a factor of 20+. There is also Creatures and Treasure in RM2 which did not even exist in RM 1st Ed. The number of base classes mushrooms - all the Spell Lists in RMC1 and RMC2 are added. Background options in RMC1 are added which dramatically change character generation. It's a HUGE difference.

RMC1 and RMC2, taken together, are about 10 times the page count of the original Character Law.

Ok, I am going to have to clarify what I was. I am really thinking of the underlying mechanics. Other wise DD 1 to 3 would not count.

And yes I did play RM 1 and 2 using both sets of books with interchangeably. RMSS was a major change but not 1 to 2. 2nd Edition used the same Character Law as 1st edition and came out in 84. Are you sure you are not confusing RMSS (1995) or 1/2 with the expanded skill list from RMC 2?

Steel_Wind

Legend
Ok, I am going to have to clarify what I was. I am really thinking of the underlying mechanics. Other wise DD 1 to 3 would not count.

And yes I did play RM 1 and 2 using both sets of books with interchangeably. RMSS was a major change but not 1 to 2. 2nd Edition used the same Character Law as 1st edition and came out in 84. Are you sure you are not confusing RMSS (1995) or 1/2 with the expanded skill list from RMC 2?

Nope. Not confusing it at all. As for RMSS - that was a disaster of character generation, sure, but the underlying game mechanics did not change -- other than in respect of how haste worked.We left 1st edition AD&D in about 1983/84 for home brewed Rolemaster. Well - it wasn't even Rolemaster then, it was just Spell Law and Arm's Law set in the original Iron Wind module with house ruled character generation based on 1st edition.

We house ruled natural weapons with arrows and daggers and swords for natural attacks for a while, too.
We played it for 18 years as our main RPG until 3rd edition was released.

Anyways - yeah - quite sure :)

Garmorn

Explorer
So my list so far is:

Rolemaster
Champions
Call of Cthulhu
Tunnels & Trolls
Toons
Aftermath!

Do the Retro Clones actually count as still in print since they are not the actual original game? I am of two minds. First yes because the rules are suppose to be close and no because they are not the original game with just minor tweaks and how close can they get with out CC protection violations.

As for Traveler unless they went back to an earlier version it had massive changes at one point. (I have played both versions)

Last edited:

P

PaulofCthulhu

Next year marks 30 years of Call of Cthulhu.

As Peter Adkison is reputed to have said, it's like a Crocodile...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads