D&D (2024) What genres are we missing?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
To really catch modern-day trends, they’d need a cultivation/xianxia based setting and an official isekai setting (with Earth-basedbackgrounds).

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
To really catch modern-day trends, they’d need a cultivation/xianxia based setting and an official isekai setting (with Earth-basedbackgrounds).
You have concerns over cultural appropriation, now.

The big omission as far as literary genres is romance. But you can put that in any other setting (and romance novels are quite creative about this). (Blue Rose made a pretty good stab at romantic fantasy if I remember.)

Someone could find a way to bring back the Western.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'd argue that true horror is outside the scope of D&D.
Modern D&D as written, yes. Old School D&D, no. It's mostly down to how powerful the PCs are and how much more powerful the monsters would have to be to actually threaten the PCs. A lot is also due to player culture. A lot of 5E players want a game that only presents "well-balanced combats" (i.e. combats that are non-challenging and easy walk-over wins). Basically the opposite of horror. It's a game. With easily changed mechanics. It wouldn't take much to use D&D as a proper horror game. WotC's not interested and judging from the 5E players I've run games for they're not interested either. Even those who say they want horror and want Ravenloft.

Remove ads