• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happened to DOorDice.com?

Kalendraf

Explorer
Over the years, I've placed a handful of orders from DOorDice.com and didn't encounter any problems. However, over the last six months, something seems to have changed for the worse at this company.

My first problem was back in February. I placed an order for a case of D&D minis which were listed as in stock. About a week later, they sent me a note cancelling my order because it was now out of stock and they were unable to get more. Obviously, they shouldn't have listed it as being in stock and confirmed my order if they didn't have enough. I ended up getting the case of minis from a competitor.

In May, I received an e-mail from DOorDice indicating that they'd relocated and changed staff and said that I had been adversely affected by this. Perhaps I was, perhaps not. Either way, they'd seen fit to send me a $10 coupon code w/ no expiration date toward a future purchase. I wasn't in the need of anything at that time, so I waited to place an order.

On June 24th, I decided to give them another shot, and I placed a new order for a new case of minis. My first warning that something was wrong should have been the fact that my $10 coupon didn't work. However, I'd received another promotional code for 10% off which I elected to use instead so I didn't think much about it. Unfortunately, that's the last I've heard from DOorDice. Now, it's almost a month later, yet my order status still shows "Pending Shipping", and my e-mail requests to their Customer Service have not been answered. I'm growing extremely concerned about this order. It's like their whole staff went on vacation and forgot to put up the Closed sign. If I knew it was going to take this long, I would have ordered from a different store.

Has anyone else experienced recent problems with DOorDice?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I can't help you, unfortunately, but I'll try to keep this thread on the first page by posting. When I lived in San Diego, I actually shopped at Do or Dice a number of times. It was tiny, and seemed geared more towards the mail-order side of the business. I didn't know they'd relocated.

Turjan

Explorer
In my experience, they were never the fastest to process an order. One to two weeks from order to shipping is normal. One month sounds somewhat peculiar, though.

Merkuri

Explorer
You might want to contact your credit card company. A month is a long time to wait, and the fact that they're not getting back to your emails is a bad sign. Especially make it a point to contact the card company if they've already charged your card and you have no merchandise (or any sign of merchandise) after a month.

I went through something similar when I used to play computer games more often. I was very loyal to one online store based in Canada (I'm in the US) becaues their prices were unbelievably low. I had bought from them probably 10 or 12 times without problems when they told me one day that there was a problem with my credit card information. They could refund my money or give me store credit. That should've set off a red flag in my mind (why did they charge the card if the information was suspect??) but I was in college and not very experienced with these things. I opted to keep the store credit, but from what I've heard it wouldn't have mattered what I said. I tried to use the credit pretty much immediately, but heard nothing from the company for months and eventually noticed that their web site had gone down.

I did a web search for them and found similar stories from other customers where they had been notified that there was a problem with the card, but the card had been charged anyway. People who answered "I want my money back" didn't recieve a response either. It seemed the company was going out of business and tried to scam as many people as it could before it went under. I never ended up fighting it because I felt it would have been too much trouble for a relatively small amount of money and I had actually used a debit card (which has less protection than a credit card).

Even if a company has a good track record, don't give them the benefit of the doubt. Treat this company as if you had never heard of them before this transaction. If you'd ordered the first time from another company and didn't hear from them for a month, what would you do?

Kalendraf

Explorer
Merkuri said:
You might want to contact your credit card company. A month is a long time to wait, and the fact that they're not getting back to your emails is a bad sign. Especially make it a point to contact the card company if they've already charged your card and you have no merchandise (or any sign of merchandise) after a month.

That's a good point. It wasn't listed on my last credit card statement I received, but it may have just missed the billing cycle window. I'll check with the credit card company later today.

I've made hundreds of online orders before dealing with several dozens of different companies, but I've never experienced a problem like this before. I've been extremely busy over the last couple of weeks, so I haven't really had much time to dig into this until now. Before that it was only a week or two after the order was placed so it didn't raise any major red flags yet.

I've never had any problems with them, or with thewarstore. Lately I've been buying more from thewarstore however, as the guy who runs it (Niel) seems really friendly and gives better service than any gaming store I've walked into.

Maybe the guys from newwave snuck in and took over doordice? Man, that company sucked.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Merkuri said:
Looks like other people have been having problems.

http://forums.privateerpress.com/index.php?showtopic=83077&st=0
I wish I'd known about that before I placed my order. Based on what I read there, it sounds like they've very likely charged my account already. Not sure what I can do at this point besides try to cancel the order and try to get a refund.

Anyone know how credit card companies react to these situations? Are they willing to cancel the payment and clear the transaction out of the record?

Merkuri

Explorer
It depends on the company, but in general credit card companies are very good at protecting their customers (you). If your card has been charged, you haven't recieved your goods, and there's no sign that your goods are coming then they'll be plenty happy to sic their lawyers on the store to get you a refund or the goods you paid for.

I do not have any personal experience with this, but that's what I've heard.

Last edited:

Kalendraf

Explorer
Update!

This is getting to be a lot more interesting than I figured it would. I enlisted my wife to help out, and she's a rather zealous type when it comes to resolving a problem. She's also the type you never want to cross paths with on a bad day. Great to have her on my side - bad for DO or DICE.

She's contacted the BBB, and it sounds like there may have been some other recent serious complaints against DO or DICE. It seems that some of the contact info for DO or DICE may be entirely bogus (addresses, phone numbers, etc). There might even be enough evidence and just cause at this point to try to shut them down, or at least their website!

WOW!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads