D&D 5E What happened to Legend and Lore?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I play 4e, so this is not some paizo fanboy speaking, but they crush WoTC in communications. WotC really needs to try harder, imo.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I play 4e, so this is not some paizo fanboy speaking, but they crush WoTC in communications. WotC really needs to try harder, imo.

I agree, though WotC has been doing much better these days. Still, I really wish they actively posted in forums. Paizo does this some, but Pinnacle Entertainment Group is the company to beat here. They have an entire forum for asking the developers questions about rules and products.

the Jester

Legend
They've also highlighted D&D Q&A as a main article for the first time - this should make it much easier to find every week!

Except that it's last week's Q&A they're highlighting as a new article.

I wonder if there was some mix-up with the links or something? Shouldn't we have a new L&L by now, too?

Yeah, they're really trying but Wizard's communication is slow and infrequent.

But they are a bigger company than Paizo. Paizo is all about Pathfinder and everything else is secondary. In WotC, D&D comes third and there are managers for each of the major departments, and managers for those managers. There's two extra levels of hierarchy (read: bureaucracy).
So while Paizo staff needing to clear a statement need to talk to one person who talks to one person WotC staff have a four or five-man chain to clear a statement. Which is even harder given the company's propensity for secrecy. And the upper management is not gamers. The CEO is right from Hasbro. Which is very different from having a CEO that went to the first GenCon.

As for the delay in articles, right now they're doing the GenCon crunch where any published material due for GenCon release has to be finalized. So they have some extra above-and-beyond work they're poking away at.

Warbringer

Explorer
Yeah, they're really trying but Wizard's communication is slow and infrequent.

But they are a bigger company than Paizo. Paizo is all about Pathfinder and everything else is secondary. In WotC, D&D comes third and there are managers for each of the major departments, and managers for those managers. There's two extra levels of hierarchy (read: bureaucracy).
So while Paizo staff needing to clear a statement need to talk to one person who talks to one person WotC staff have a four or five-man chain to clear a statement. Which is even harder given the company's propensity for secrecy. And the upper management is not gamers. The CEO is right from Hasbro. Which is very different from having a CEO that went to the first GenCon.

As for the delay in articles, right now they're doing the GenCon crunch where any published material due for GenCon release has to be finalized. So they have some extra above-and-beyond work they're poking away at.

Not sure what your point here is, but D&D has its own brand managers, it's their only responsibility. The issue is that L&L is not being considered contnet worthy of hiting the editorial calendar; that means written and approved well in advance of the post date. I think it's also a shame that the posts are considered more highly, in terms of posting continuity, content and impact.

People literally wait for thi stuff to post a 12am and start reposting and commenting immediately; that is soem serious brand fizz :)

Not sure what your point here is, but D&D has its own brand managers, it's their only responsibility. The issue is that L&L is not being considered contnet worthy of hiting the editorial calendar; that means written and approved well in advance of the post date. I think it's also a shame that the posts are considered more highly, in terms of posting continuity, content and impact.

People literally wait for thi stuff to post a 12am and start reposting and commenting immediately; that is soem serious brand fizz :)
The brand manager can't post without permission.
And Mearls, who writes L&L is the brand manager. So it's not like he isn't busy. They even hired someone in part to write L&L and ease the burden (Monte Cook) but they left.
It's easy to say that it should be written well in advance, but L&L is a very topical column. He can't easily write it three weeks in advance.

GSHamster

Adventurer
It's ironic, but I would actually consider WotC to be the poster child for great communication as a game company.

Only it's the MTG team. Their weekly Design and Development columns are outstanding.

Remove ads