• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What harm house rule do you use (the real thread)

Which house rule do you use for Harm?

• I use harm as it appears in the PHB

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Allow a fortitude save (also choose a result)

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Allow a willpower save (also choose a result)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No save, limit damage (100 hp, or list specify if other)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Save causes victim to lose half hp

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Save causes victim to lose 4d8+level hp (or specify if other amount)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Make it more difficult to hit (normal attack vice touch attack, or specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Poll closed .

Ruvion

First Post
I allow a Fort save on a condition....

...that your current hit point is lower than the creature receiving Harm. In other words, if your current hit point is higher than it, it is as per PHB. Otherwise Fort save for 3d8+lvl (max is 10) negative energy damage. The reason why it's 3d8+lvl is that a 6th level inflict spell, if there was one, would have done 6d8+lvl and will save for half. Since saving would half that, hence (6d8+lvl up to 20)/2 or 3d8+lvl up to 10.

Logically, allowing epic levels, the hypothetical 6th level inflict spell would have higher damage cap (maybe up to 30) but that's beating a whole different kind of horse. :D

Lord Vangarel

First Post
I allow a Fortitude partial save which if successful reduces the damage to 1d6 points per caster level with the additional rule that it cannot reduce the target's hit points below 1d4. (This was after a playtest where a monster saved and died anyway! :eek:)

A full description of the reasoning behind the changes and the new spell description can be found on my website at www.aranor.co.uk/harm.html

MythandLore

First Post
Here's the one our group has been using for about 6 or 7 months now.

Harm (errata)
PHB version but with changes below.
Has will save to loses only 5d8 hit point due to negative plane damage; if save is failed the target is brought to the brink of death, subject loses enough hit points to reduce them to 1 hit point.

Psion

Adventurer
Lord Vangarel said:
I allow a Fortitude partial save which if successful reduces the damage to 1d6 points per caster level with the additional rule that it cannot reduce the target's hit points below 1d4.

Hmmm... that does sound like a fair compromise. I think I'd follow Monte's lead though and make it a willpower save, though. That way it would likely be more effective against really large creatures which you REALLY need the harm to work for. Combining Monte's rule with yours sounds like it would balance the spell nicely against the 5th level slay living.

Berandor

lunatic
No save, spell like PHB, except: maximum hp affected 10/level. So a 20th level cleric can bring a 560hp-beast down to 360.

Heal cures the same amount, btw.

Berandor

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally posted by Psion
Hmmm... that does sound like a fair compromise. I think I'd follow Monte's lead though and make it a willpower save, though.

It all depends on how you want to perceive the damage affects the target. One of the reasons I set it as Fortitude is Slay Living, Disintegrate, and Destruction all require Fortitude saves to avoid the primary effect. I agree that a Willpower save would allow it more success against higher level critters but then you could argue the other spells should be changed as well.

Seraphael

First Post
pontus said:
Nobody uses a Ref-save? ;)

Reflex saves aren't really appropriate against a spell that already requires a touch (melee or ranged) attack since the fact that they actually hit you suggests that you've already failed to dodge.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I personally think that a Fort save is more appropriate for Harm than a Will save. If you're fighting something so big/strong that can only be defeated with Harm (as written in the PHB), it's probably either too challenging or not worth an experience award.

LightPhoenix

Remove ads