• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What harm house rule do you use (the real thread)

Which house rule do you use for Harm?

• I use harm as it appears in the PHB

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Allow a fortitude save (also choose a result)

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Allow a willpower save (also choose a result)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No save, limit damage (100 hp, or list specify if other)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Save causes victim to lose half hp

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Save causes victim to lose 4d8+level hp (or specify if other amount)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Make it more difficult to hit (normal attack vice touch attack, or specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Poll closed .

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
My house rule #1:
Change the save on harm to “Will partial” and add the following to the text description: “If the save is successful, the subject instead takes 1d8 damage per caster level; this cannot deal enough damage to drop them below 5 hp.”

This keeps harm in line with the insta-kill spells.

Psion

Adventurer
Lord Vangarel said:
One of the reasons I set it as Fortitude is Slay Living, Disintegrate, and Destruction all require Fortitude saves to avoid the primary effect. I agree that a Willpower save would allow it more success against higher level critters but then you could argue the other spells should be changed as well.

Um... why? If you give it the same save as slay living, then how is it any better than slay living? Slay living kills the target; harm only reduces the target to 1-4 hp.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally posted by Psion[/I]
Um... why? If you give it the same save as slay living, then how is it any better than slay living? Slay living kills the target; harm only reduces the target to 1-4 hp.

True, if the save is failed Slay Living (5th level) kills the target, Harm (6th level) reduces the target to 1d4 hit points. So in that sense Slay Living is better. The difference is what happens when the save is made. Slay Living inflicts 3d6 points of damage +1 point per caster level of damage to the target which can kill the target, my variant Harm inflicts 1d6 per two caster levels (min 5d6, max 10d6) which cannot kill the target.

I think Harm is probably better than Slay Living because it inflicts more damage if the save is made, but that's why it a level higher.

Remove ads