What have i missed about Greenbound Summoning?

Voodoo

First Post
The feat Greenbound Summoning in Lost Empires of Fareun seems utterly broken and far too good to me, is there a restriction or limitation that i've missed?

The feat applies the greenbound template to any animal you summon with any Summon Natures Ally spell.

The greenbound template:-
Type becomes plant (so no crits, mind affecting, or polymorphing..)
NA improves by 6
Gains a slam attack
(Sp) at will - entangle, pass without trace, speak with plants. 1/day - wall of thorns
DR 10/magic and slashing
Fast healing 3
+4 grapple bonus
Resistance to electricity and cold 10
Tremorsense 60'
Str +6, Dex +2, Con +4, Cha+4
+16 to hide and move silently in forested areas
(CR +2, LA+8)

The feat is on page 8, the Greenbound template on page 173-175

two

First Post
all i can say it wow

Voodoo said:
The feat Greenbound Summoning in Lost Empires of Fareun seems utterly broken and far too good to me, is there a restriction or limitation that i've missed?

The feat applies the greenbound template to any animal you summon with any Summon Natures Ally spell.

The greenbound template:-
Type becomes plant (so no crits, mind affecting, or polymorphing..)
NA improves by 6
Gains a slam attack
(Sp) at will - entangle, pass without trace, speak with plants. 1/day - wall of thorns
DR 10/magic and slashing
Fast healing 3
+4 grapple bonus
Resistance to electricity and cold 10
Tremorsense 60'
Str +6, Dex +2, Con +4, Cha+4
+16 to hide and move silently in forested areas
(CR +2, LA+8)

The feat is on page 8, the Greenbound template on page 173-175

Wow.

That's pretty crazy. You could summon a level 1 nature's ally (at level 1), and have it cast a Wall of Thorns? That's pretty much going to end any low-level combat. Done.

Plus all that other stuff? Crazy talk.

How about summoning 1d4+1 low-level nature's allies by 5 or 6 and having all of them do the wall of thorns thing?

Plus all the other stuff?

Crazy talk man, crazy.

You have to be able to speak with the summoned plants, of course-- but that's not too tough.

werk

First Post
Sorry, I don't have Lost Empires yet. I'd look for something about movement. Plants don't generally run around very well. If there is nothing, that might be a good fix for the feat.

Voodoo

First Post
werk said:
I'd look for something about movement. Plants don't generally run around very well. If there is nothing, that might be a good fix for the feat.

Unfortunatly nope, the example greenbound troll (obviously not being summoned) still has speed 30.

two

First Post
Voodoo said:
Unfortunatly nope, the example greenbound troll (obviously not being summoned) still has speed 30.

Good lord, that's terrifying. A greenbound troll... yikes.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I would have to see the feat and read its prereqs carefully.

Keep in mind that SNA critters do not linger around long, and, depending how you read the rules, can be foiled by a cheap little Wand of Protection from Evil (with a few exceptions). In a highly magical world that last bit may not be so minor a thing.

This certainly looks more potent than Augment Summoning (which is generally considered very good for Druids as PHB feats go.)

nak9788

First Post
The only thing that I could see that would limit this feat is the restictions of the summon spell itself. Keep in mind it takes a full-round to cast the spell. Even casting on the defensive, once you make you concentration check, when the next round starts, you are still casting, giving everyone around you the oportunity to take their action that round (or the previous round if you won intiative) to hit you (and therefore require a 2nd concentration check).

Also the spell only lasts 1 rnd/lvl so it doesn't last very long. Granted whenever you do summon something it would be quite nasty. If you compare it to the Augment Summoning feat, it is many times better, effectively making the Augment Summoning feat obsolete. You might want to include the Augment Summoning feat as a prerequisite for it though.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
If I recall correctly, once a summoned critter goes away, so do all its spell effects--so the Walls of Thorns don't last for very long. It still seems quite powerful to me, but at least that's some small comfort!

Daniel

Remove ads