• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What have you done with Sidewinder?

slingbld

Explorer
I was curious, having just purchased Sidewinder: Recoiled, who has started running a game of Sidewinder. And How are you liking it?

Those who have had a chance to play the system, how are the mechanics? What are you using out of it?
Which currency system are you using?

Gimme some info!! :D

Thanks,
Slingbld~

Fate Lawson

First Post
slingbld said:
I was curious, having just purchased Sidewinder: Recoiled, who has started running a game of Sidewinder. And How are you liking it?

Those who have had a chance to play the system, how are the mechanics? What are you using out of it?
Which currency system are you using?

Gimme some info!! :D

Thanks,
Slingbld~

Well, I'm sure Doc will be along soon to tell ya all about his game, but until then ya might want to mosey on over to the DHR boards and post the same question. We even have a pbp game going on over there, although it is still in its infancy.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Fate Lawson said:
Well, I'm sure Doc will be along soon to tell ya all about his game,

:lol: I'll remember that Fate, As for the game I'm doing it's going great, we're useing the cold cash rules, as for the mechanics it's primary D20 Modern so it's easy to use( since there's no autofire involved in this era that headache isn't in the game), we're still learning the rules unique to SW but we're haveing fun doing it.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
We play with the first edition Sidewinder: Wild West Adventures, but we've nearly finished playtesting the Recoiled rules and my review should be up shortly.

Fate Lawson

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
We play with the first edition Sidewinder: Wild West Adventures, but we've nearly finished playtesting the Recoiled rules and my review should be up shortly.

Looking forward to it there TB. Good, Bad, or Ugly! ;)

Geoff

First Post
Well, my original Sidewinder: Recoiled (and Sidewinder: Wild West Adventures) campaign centered around the exploits of the Gunter Gang. The group of characters featured in the opening fiction of each chapter in Recoiled. They basically served as a means to play test rules, etc., but I'm getting ready to start a new campaign, so I thought I'd share.

This campaign will be run in an episodic fashion like a TV series with possible connecting story lines. Watching Deadwood lately and the Magnificent Seven (TV series version) has inspired me.

The next two posts contain preliminary information for the new setting. Yes, I'm gonna reply to my own post!

Last edited:

Geoff

First Post
American del Norte - Historic Overview

It’s the blossoming of the Wild West, but not exactly as you know it; North America is splintered, but not as you’d expect.

In 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla began the struggle for Mexican independence with Spain. In 1821, the hard fought battle was finally won and Mexico was free from Spanish rule. In that very same year, the first Anglo pioneers, led by Stephen F. Austin, were allowed to settle in Texas, beginning an influx of settlers into Mexican lands.

In 1833, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was elected president of Mexico. Just two short years later, in 1835, a new Mexican Constitution was drafted centralizing power, but giving Mexican Provinces some freedom in the way they ruled themselves; thus began the era of prosperity for Mexico in North America. The Texas War of Independence was never a reality; the Alamo never happened as the citizens of Texas and other Mexican lands were governed by even-handed leaders; despite this, bloody fields of battle in North America would not be spared.

For nearly a dozen years, the Republic of Mexico flourished and explored the lands of North America left to them by their Spanish legacy. In 1845, General Jose Joaquin de Herrera assumed the presidency of the prosperous nation while James K. Polk was inaugurated as President of the United States; they would quickly cross paths as Polk stated that due to its large amount of citizens with Anglo ancestry, Texas should be annexed into the United States.

President Herrera was able to coax the revered former ruler Santa Anna away from retirement, despite his advancing age, to guide the armies of Mexico against the forthcoming war. After a few minor skirmishes in Texas, full scale war broke out in May of 1846 as American General Zachary Taylor led a charge deep into Texas in an attempt to break the spirits of the Mexican soldiers. Despite having the element of surprise, the American strike was rebuffed by General Mariana Paredes y Arrillaga of Mexico.

Throughout the span of 1847, the tides of war turned to favor both sides at varying times. During the summer, as American forces were assembling in Louisiana for a concentrated attack, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, the former president, spearheaded a charge into Louisiana catching the gathering American army off-guard. This all but ended the American incursions into Mexican territory and extinguished their spirit for battle.

By the end of the year, the Treaty of 1847, or El Tratado de 1847, was agreed to by both the United States of America and the Republic of Mexico. As the aggressor, the United States was forced to grant some concessions to Mexico. The treaty granted Mexico undisputed rights to Louisiana and Texas as well as “normal timeline” Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, portions of Colorado and Wyoming, and the panhandle of Oklahoma.

In the early 1861, the United States of America had to turn its military might to within its own borders as Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia attempted to secede from the Union. Despite their effort, the Confederate Rebellion was squashed in just over a year with less than a dozen major battles being fought. Interestingly enough and despite the opportunity, the Republic of Mexico did not take advantage of the United States’ internal struggle in a military fashion.

As a new decade dawns upon North America, the continent finds itself in a relative state of peace. The frontier is beginning to open as settlers from America head west and those from Mexico head north. It’s the beginning of a new era, it may not be as we remember it, but the west is still wild.

Last edited:

Geoff

First Post
El Valle de Roto - Regional Overview

Located 6,025 feet above sea level, El Valle de Roto, The Broken Valley, has a mild climate and is home to the blossoming settlement of Trinidad. It is flanked by the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to the west, the Spanish Peaks to the northwest and the rolling hills and grasslands of the Great Plains to the east. Most importantly, it literally straddles the border between the United States of America and the Republic of Mexico.

In 1821, William Becknell made the first recorded trading expedition from Missouri to the town of Santa Fe. He followed what became known as the “Mountain Branch” of the Santa Fe Trail on his westward journey and passed right through El Valle de Roto. In 1826, a spry 17-year old by the name of Christopher “Kit” Carson fled his apprenticeship as a saddle-maker in Franklin, Missouri (which was at that time the head of the Santa Fe Trail) and joined a caravan headed west. Along the way, he stopped in the tiny Mexican village of Trinidad where Anglo pioneers were also beginning to settle. That’s how his long career as a frontiersman, explorer, hunter, Indian agent and fighter began.

In 1833 as a new era was dawning upon the Republic of Mexico, William Bent established Bent’s Fort in the Arkansas River Valley to the east of El Valle de Roto. Traders and mountain men frequented the route to the fort that passed through Trinidad from the high country of the Rocky Mountains. Settlers along the “Mountain Branch” of the Santa Fe Trail sought rest both at Bent’s Ford and Trinidad from the harrowing journey west and solace from the Apache, Comanche, Kiowa and Ute Indians of the region. Today Bent’s Fort is a major hub of activity with a large garrison of United States Cavalrymen.

In 1847, after nearly two years of battle, America and Mexico agreed to El Tratado de 1847 that ended the bloody conflict and set national boundaries between the two countries. Unknowing (or perhaps uncaring) politicians and leaders established a border that ran right through the heart of Trinidad, dividing the growing community between two nations.

In 1849 and 1850, the area teemed with travelers heading west to Alta California as gold fever swept the continent. Trinidad and the other outlying communities of El Valle De Roto swelled with transients and the economy boomed. Businesses were established and the community grew, both to accommodate passing travelers and to harbor those that decided to settle in the region.

But as the initial fever of the gold rush of Alta California dwindled, life in El Valley de Roto returned to a normal and somewhat mundane pace until the early months of 1870. That’s when gold was discovered in the valley as well as near the Spanish Peaks and in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range; gold fever struck again, this time closer to home and the rush was on again.

It’s now high summer in El Valley de Roto. The weather has turned from brisk and chilly spring to dry and hot summer, the trees are in full bloom, there’s a fortune to be made and dreams to be splintered.

Welcome to El Valley de Roto, The Broken Valley.

slingbld

Explorer
Geoff,
You gotta keep this comming!!

Actualy, you should mosey on over to the story hour & post this there!!

You got me hooked :)

Slingbld~

scourger

Explorer
That is an awesome campaign idea, Geoff. I have the original Sidewinder. It was a great read, but it presents too many changes to d20 D&D (like Deadlands d20) for my taste. Compare Spellslinger for a concise Western D&D game. I'm not much of a d20M fan, but these posts have me looking forward to seeing Sidewinder Recoiled published by Green Ronin.

Remove ads