• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is an elegant system?

Pickles JG

First Post
Much as I love elegant & its cousin sophisticated in my game mechanics it must be remembered that they are a means to an end, being a good game.

Some games take an elegant system & apply it where it does not really fit (though the one that comes to mind is an old obscure wargame called "Whipping Bobby Lee")

cattoy

First Post
One of my definitions of elegance in design is that it expresses much in few words.

One subsystem that illustrates this well is the HERO system disadvantage system. You take one axis that defines how often the disadvantage comes into play, you take one axis that defines how severely the disadvantage limits the character and you add them together to tell you how many points its worth.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
[MENTION=6685694]ComradeGnull[/MENTION], no no no, the servants rolls the dice and either move the miniatures around or act in their place. You and your high society friends take care of the imagination bit. ;-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads